PDA

View Full Version : Tournament No Limit Play

Admania
08-25-2003, 09:41 AM
Hi all

I have been playing poker online for a few months now and seem to fair ok in tournaments but nothing spectacular. I tend to play the cards as they come out and I'm usually pretty good at extracting the max from my opponent when I know I have the best hand, I play a tight game which I'm comfortable with. I recently read Doyle Brunsons Super System in which he advocates a very aggressive "power poker" style. I have seen how some players like Dave Ulliot and Doyle Brunson use this power strategy and it is very successful. My question really is "Do all top successful no limit poker players use this style or is there another way?". Are there top players out there who use the bluff ,but very seldomly, and play the top hands very well in order to extract the maximum from their opponent?. I'm really questioning within myself whether I need to change my game?, although as I said before I fair pretty well at the moment. Ok any comments would be greatlt appreciated.

Cheers
Adam

trillig
08-25-2003, 04:32 PM
Tight players can do fine, Pat Harrington is such a player, he won WSOP 1995 main event and placed 3rd this year.

I watch WPT on TV as well and solid tighter players win about 50% of the tournaments.

Watch the WSOP 2003 finale tomorrow on ESPN, see how Pat does it, 4th & 5th place are also tight, only 2nd was severely aggressive, and winner was a mixed bag player, play the way you feel most comfortable, you can always try the other ways and see how it goes, just do it cheap! 8)

-t

Bozeman
08-25-2003, 06:59 PM
I think you mean Dan