PDA

View Full Version : You Know You're a "Liberal" If..

08-10-2002, 03:28 AM
You Know You're a Liberal If:

1) You want to legalize cocaine and outlaw handguns.

2) You think cops are not to be trusted, and criminals are merely products of their environment.

3) You believe violence doesn't solve anything.

4) You believe corporate profits are obscene but government spending is too low.

5) You believe that insufficient governmental funding is the reason AIDS has become widespread.

6) You believe "The Lack of Jobs" or "The Failure to Spend More On Our Cities" or "Socioeconomic Conditions" are clearly linked to crime in America.

7) You believe that children do just as well when raised by a 'single mother' or 'two women' or 'two men' as when raised by a man and woman married to each other.

8.) You believe the National Rifle Association helps criminals, while the American Civil Liberties Union protects the innocent.

9) You believe in the literal existence of Chakras & Auras.

08-10-2002, 07:40 AM
The main problem with Limbaugh is he openly hates Blacks, Jews, Latinos, Homosexuals, Buddists, Robin Hood, Hindus, (any non fundamentalist Christian sect),

but he loves food, money, more food, loves corporate graft, more food, loves Repblican draft dodgers, more food etc....

08-10-2002, 01:16 PM
I knew Rush probably was, as David Letterman suggested, "a big fat pumpkinhead" when Rush mocked the spotted owl and its plight.

08-10-2002, 02:57 PM

08-10-2002, 04:27 PM
Dear:

[ ] Clueless Newbie

[ ] Loser

[ ] Idiot savant

[ ] Twink

[ ] Troll

[ ] Bank Sitter

[ ] Me too'er

[ ] Spammer

[x] Utter Moron

[ ] Other: Pointless Thread Starter

You Are Being Flamed Because:

[ ] You continued a long, stupid thread

[ ] You posted a "YOU ALL SUCK" message

[ ] You said "me too" to something or "Send ______"

[ ] You don't know what youre talking about

[ ] You suck

[ ] You brag about things that never happened

[ ] Your sig/alias/server sucks

[ ] You posted something totally uninteresting

[ ] You crossposted

[ ] You posted a message all written in CAPS

[ ] I don't like your tone of voice

[ ] You junkmailed me

[x] You just plain suck

[x] Your stupidity is astounding

[ ] You complained about getting looted when it was your own damn fault

[x] I thought, "What the hell?"

[ ] I felt like it

[ ] Would you like some cheese with your whine?

To Repent, You Must:

[ ] Give up your AOL/Euronet/MSN/Planet Internet account

[x] Bust up your modem with a hammer and eat it

[x] Jump into a bathtub while holding your monitor

[ ] Actually post something relevant

[ ] Read the f'ing FAQ

[ ] Read the f'ing manual, then come to me for a written essay assignment

[ ] Be the guest of honor for SnR for a month

[ ] Apologize to everybody in this forum

[ ] Stop being homosexual

[ ] Learn to play the f'ing game

[ ] Fall on your sword... NOW...

[x] Forget it, there's no redeeming your silly ass

08-11-2002, 02:36 AM
1) I don't want to legalize cocaine, but I do want to outlaw handguns. I get no kick from cocaine.

2) I think some cops are not to be trusted because there is ample evidence of their untrustworthiness, and criminals are products of their environment, but not merely products of their environment. Cops are products of their environment too.

3) I believe violence may solve some things, but often makes things worse.

4) I believe some corporate profits can be obscene and that some government spending can be too low. Some government spending can be too high too. And some can be just right.

5) I don't know very much about AIDS.

6) I believe "The Lack of Jobs" or "The Failure to Spend More On Our Cities" or "Socioeconomic Conditions" are clearly linked to violent crime in America.

7) I believe that children can do just as well when raised by 'two women' or 'two men' as when raised by a man and woman married to each other. Judging by the percentage of violent crime committed by men as opposed to women, my guess is two women is the ideal. You need to learn something to get a driver's license, but they'll let any old asshole be a father. (I stole this line from the movie Parenthood.)

8.) I believe the National Rifle Association helps criminals, while the American Civil Liberties Union protects the innocent.

9) I don't know what a Chakra is; I do know people who have distinctive auras; but I suspect an Aura is different from an aura. Hopefully others will elaborate.

08-11-2002, 04:18 AM
Andy, I support the ACLU.

So, how does the NRA help criminals? (I am not a member).

I think outlawing handguns is misguided. For a start, see HDPM post below.

An Aura is a lumious radiation that supposely eminates and surrounds all human beings (do not know if it applies to all living beings but it might).

A Chakra is a spiritual or energy center located at various points in the body. I think the concept originated in India. There are supposely a number of them, 7 or 9 or some such number.

-Zeno

08-11-2002, 10:35 AM
Andy,

I get a kick out of you.

For the last few years, I've used Leslea Newman's book Heather Has Two Mommies in my Intro to Lit classes. I would guess close to 400 students have read it, and only a handful of students have objected to the book. Three or four, however, beleived that two women could raise children just as effectively as a man and a woman. Their objections were based on religious reasons. A few more students protested that two women raising children just wasn't "natural." Overwhelmingly, though, students, as least students in Rhode Island, support the book.

Interestingly, perhaps, lesbians tend to find the book--and it is a children's book--a bit too stereotypical in its depiction of lesbians.

John

08-11-2002, 01:14 PM
NRA helps criminals by being a soft, somewhat pro-gun control group. If they really made a stand instead of caving in to protect duck hunters when the gun control stuff got going, we'd have many more of our rights today. I hope any NRA policy maker who ever said "but that gun has a sporting purpose" realizes how stupid they were. Hehehe.;-)

08-11-2002, 01:24 PM
HDPM,

Just curious; which rights don't you have as a gun owner because of the NRA's action or inaction?

John

08-11-2002, 01:46 PM
A lot. I don't have the right to carry a concealed weapon in all 50 states. I don't have the right to have a fully automatic weapon made after 1986. I don't have the right to have even a semi-auto AK-47 if I move to California. I don't have the right to buy a weapon through a catalog with no federally licensed middleman. I don't have the right to buy a regular capacity pistol anymore.

I don't want to sound like a total nut, and I might not choose to exercise some of the above rights, but the gun laws in this country are nothing close to what was intended by the 2d Amd. IMO. The funny thing is that if the 2d Amendment were actually enforced, it would probably be repealed. It would be a pyrrhic victory. But gun owners have lost many of their rights since the 1930's federal legislation and the local laws passed to disarm minorities.

08-11-2002, 07:44 PM
the NRA supported legislation in Texas

(their official postion was that they had no position on it; also they stated that pro gun groups opposed to the legislation were 'unauthorized 2nd amendment groups')

that only failed because of grass roots gun people. the laws would have made it illegal for anyone under 18 to touch any gun, and anyone under 21 to touch a handgun, for any reason whatsoever.

as for me, i had a gun safety class when i was 11.

brad

08-12-2002, 01:24 AM
"how does the NRA help criminals?"

By making it easier to get guns which criminals use in the commission of crimes. And by fostering a sort-of vigilante approach to public issues. The president of the NRA once said that when it comes to journalists, it is time to "re-think" the axiom that "you should never kill a messenger bearing bad news."

Now that I know what Auras and Chakras are (thank you), I can say I don't believe in them. So maybe I'm not a liberal after all. /images/smile.gif

08-12-2002, 04:38 AM
A child MIGHT do as well under either alternate set of circumstances, but it would be an incredible assumption (bordering on pompous) to assume that they NECESSARILY can do just as well. Have any studies been done as of yet? I doubt it since this is a fairly new phenomenon. I think it is irrational and overly assumptive to assume that it would or could be just as good for the child. I'm not saying it has to be worse--it might not be-- but on just what GROUNDS is anyone justified in making these assumptions?

Further, since peer problems are often a BIG factor in schools, one assumption that is safe is that it will place a large burden on the child in this regard.

So I can't see how Andy Fox can possibly be logically convinced yet of his assertion.

08-12-2002, 08:08 AM
my personal favorite:

you know your a liberal if you dont mind that a 20 year old girl is a stripper as long as she makes minimum wage as part of a union.

I think it was george will who said it but i am not sure.

Pat

08-12-2002, 11:57 AM
you know that your way of treating politics as a never ending battle in the dichotomy of liberalvs.conservative is cliche, passe, and outdated when you start posting stupid shite like this. is there only 2 viewpoints on all these issues? is there only 2 ways to look at solving problems on a political/governmental leadership scale? if so, then you know that your way of thinking is what got us in this mess, and sure as hell isn't going to get us out.

08-12-2002, 04:18 PM

08-12-2002, 04:55 PM
"your way of thinking is what got us in this mess"

Maybe you should get yourself a cabin down by Walden's Pond and stop looking under the bed for Scary Monsters, Oooooooooh

[and if you are a Frank Sontag fan, or a fan of his favorite mental-patient guest Craig Hewlett, you deserve to feel as depressed as you sound.]