PDA

View Full Version : Howard Lederer fed up? erer?

daryn
08-24-2003, 03:57 PM
ok so i was watching the WPT reruns last night, it was the aviation club in paris one.. it was the only one i hadn't seen from the whole season, anyways.

that obnoxious aussie Tony G. was shown getting into some spat with Howard Lederer, i think it showed Tony G. trying to shake Howards hand but Howard wouldn't shake, something like that. does anyone know what happened between them? i do know from the show that Howard just missed the final table by busting out in 7th place.

by the way, how good.. Tony G. .. i like a loudmouth at the table, gives the table personality. much better than the rest of those quiet french guys

Mikey
08-24-2003, 05:45 PM
i'll tell you one thing though, as obnoxious as Tony G. was, he was getting to the players. They couldn't stand him. He made them play his game.

RiverMel
08-24-2003, 06:17 PM
He made them play his game? Umm... ok, then any two-bit hyper-aggressive hack that busts out on ridiculous plays is also making everyone else "play his game," I guess.

TimTimSalabim
08-24-2003, 06:44 PM
He did get to the final table, so he must have been doing something that worked. Pure luck doesn't get you that far very often.

Wake up CALL
08-24-2003, 07:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Pure luck doesn't get you that far very often.

[/ QUOTE ]

Errr, you expect to see him at a final table again? How about Howard? I rest my case.

Wake up CALL
08-24-2003, 07:36 PM
daryn here is the response Howard Lederer gave to the same question on RGP.

I feel like I should defend myself here. Needless to say, he had been
talking non-stop for hours. He was getting on every body's nerves.

I am the low stack, and I move in on Christer with a K2. He calls with QQ.
The flop comes A4J. The turn is (A4J) 5. Now Tony is screaming that the
others at the table are about to make the TV final. River comes a (A4J5) 2.
I am disappointed, but Tony G is so excited he is practically jumping up and
down. He then says to me, "At least you hit something on the river." A
pretty creepy thing to say, even for him. Meanwhile, Christer offers to
shake my hand. He is a class act. Tony must have felt left out as he then
offers his hand to me. I wouldn't have shaken his hand at that moment if
you had a gun to my head. I guess you had to be there.

He didn't "get" me to play poorly. I did that all on my own. I just didn't
think he needed to rub it in after I had busted out 7th.

Howard Lederer

TimTimSalabim
08-24-2003, 08:00 PM
No argument that Howard's style works better over the long run. But occasionally a maniac will come along and put everyone on tilt and make everyone play worse, which it clearly did at that final table. I saw some of the other players call him down with some really pathetic hands. Part of the reason was probably because there were not top pros left at the final table, and he knew he could get away with it. So in that sense, his strategy worked, even though it did not net him a first place.

Wake up CALL
08-24-2003, 08:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No argument that Howard's style works better over the long run. But occasionally a maniac will come along and put everyone on tilt and make everyone play worse, which it clearly did at that final table. I saw some of the other players call him down with some really pathetic hands. Part of the reason was probably because there were not top pros left at the final table, and he knew he could get away with it. So in that sense, his strategy worked, even though it did not net him a first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good post Tim, this puts your earlier post in context and makes a lot of sense.

daryn
08-24-2003, 09:07 PM
ah, what a quick response! thanks wake, that was perfect.

daryn
08-24-2003, 09:09 PM
maybe he's crazy but he's entertaining. i wouldn't want to be at a final table with him OR howard. although tony G. did lose a serious portion of his commanding stack when his AK lost to J4h's flush...

Bokonon
09-04-2003, 11:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
River comes a (A4J5) 2.
I am disappointed, but Tony G is so excited he is practically jumping up and
down. He then says to me, "At least you hit something on the river

[/ QUOTE ]

In Tony's defense, that was a pretty funny line /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Tyler Durden
09-05-2003, 04:21 AM
Perhaps Howard Lederer shouldn't move all-in with a hand like king-deuce? the guy had queens? talk about a read gone awry.

risen
09-05-2003, 08:27 AM
Wow, did you just call out Lederer for poor play?

Tyler Durden
09-05-2003, 12:10 PM
on the play in question, lederer made a poor decision. so, sure.

Wake up CALL
09-05-2003, 12:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
on the play in question, lederer made a poor decision. so, sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only the result was poor since he was called by a better hand. If he had stolen the blinds it would have been, shall we say a masterful play of deception. Very subjective judging his play by the ultimate result.