PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Football Keeper League Draft Delima??!?!?

Joe Tall
08-24-2003, 03:52 PM
Ok here the dillo. I had a weak team last year. However, I played myself at the end of the season into the 3rd pick of this years draft. This is a custom built keeper league, 14 teams @ $250/team, and real intense.

The keeper rules are, quickly, keep 1 player that was drafted from rounds 1-6 and 1 player in rounds 7-16. However, you also can keep these players for multiple seasons and their 'contract' works like this:

1st round pick = 1 year contract
2nd round pick = 2 year contract
3rd round pick = 3 year contract
4th round pick = 3 year contract
5th round pick = 3 year contract
6th round pick = 3 year contract
7th round pick = 3 year contract
8th round pick = 3 year contract
9th round pick = 3 year contract
10th round pick= 4 year contract
11th round pick= 4 year contract
12th round pick= 4 year contract
13th round pick= 5 year contract
14th round pick= 5 year contract

· An undrafted player claimed off waivers will have the same value as a last round pick.

So the way it worked out, I kept my 3rd round pick, Torry Holt and picked up Jerry Porter off the wavier and kept him. (Stephen Davis and Brett Farve were the players I drafted 1-2 and didn't feel right keeping them, as of the Pro Bowl last year (the deadline to choose)).

I've got inside word the the #1 pick will be Marshall Faulk, and the #2 pick owner told me last April he was going to draft Mike Vick (never tell anyone your picks, it's like showing your hand at the table). McNabb is also availible and I thought he'd slip to me in the 3rd spot.

Now Vick is hurt and I think he might take McNabb.

Do I take Vick or who do I choose out of this list?

Ahman Green
Edgerrin James
Curtis Martin
Eddie George

There is a fair 2nd tier of RBs such as Tiki Barber, William Green, Stephen Davis, Jamal Lewis, Charlie Garner, Corey Dillon availible also.

I've just started my research today, any news of said above players would be appreciated also.

Thanks,
Larry Joe

Clarkmeister
08-24-2003, 05:51 PM
1. You definitely need a RB. I'd go RB first 2 rounds if I were you, assuming you can start 2.

Of the RBs you listed, I'd take, in order:

1. Edge
2. Jamal Lewis
3. Ahman Green
4. William Green

good luck.

Joe Tall
08-24-2003, 06:29 PM
I was leaning on Edge but what if McNabb slips? I've ruled Vick out, but McNabb is coming along so well, and I have him in my ESPN Keeper league (w/Poris and T. Henry /images/graemlins/grin.gif)? 2nd year back from ACL is usually a-ok though and Edge at 100% would be great.

The good thing is I have 2 picks in the 3rd round having sent Joe Horn last year to a contending team for the pick (I f-n love this league). So I'll have 3 picks in a span of 10 picks on the rebound from my first pick.

I'm sure I can pick up a QB with that pick.

As for your list...I would have had them in the same order although I thnk Tiki Barber is going to be a steal in this year's draft, I hope to pick him up in the 3rd round as well.

Yes, Levens is on the team but Dayne was supposed to take away goal line carries and that didn't pan out.

Any other sleepers or things to mention? I just started catching up today, I've been wrapped up in Baseball and it's time to get in Football shape.

Clarkmeister
08-24-2003, 07:15 PM
You are talking to a guy who didn't draft a QB until round 9 of his draft this year, so its going to be tough to sell me on not taking the best available RB with each of your first two, and maybe even first 3 picks. I went RB with my first 3 picks this year, trading up into the 2nd round to get a 3rd quality starter at the position.

I like your retention of Porter long term. 4 years is good for a guy who could emerge as a top player.

Joe Tall
08-24-2003, 07:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You are talking to a guy who didn't draft a QB until round 9 of his draft this year, so its going to be tough to sell me on not taking the best available RB with each of your first two, and maybe even first 3 picks. I went RB with my first 3 picks this year, trading up into the 2nd round to get a 3rd quality starter at the position.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've got me convinced. I'm trying to find out everything on Edge's outlook as I can.

[ QUOTE ]
I like your retention of Porter long term. 4 years is good for a guy who could emerge as a top player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, some of the weak ones in my league thought I was crazy but Porter has got the talent and it's only a matter of time that Brown/Rice fade out. Plus who else would you rather learn the WR from?

So who was your 1st 3? and you 9th round QB?

Ragnar
08-24-2003, 10:18 PM
I would take William Green in a heartbeat in a keeper league. He is the youngest player, and young running backs do well in general and have keeper value. George and Martin are on the downsides of their careers and are dicey for this year, and not of any value as keepers. Edge is risky due to the knee even though he is two years out. Same with Jamal. Tiki is a strong consideration if your scoring system rewards pass catching as well as running, but you think you can get him later.

I might consider Stephen Davis but again he is getting older and doesn't have potential keeper value.

If McNabb is there you might take him if the league is qb scoring weighted. He has keeper value. I'm a fan of the late QB theory as is Clarkmeister, although I wimped out in my first draft and took Gannon in the late 5th round. At that point I had (not a keeper league 9 teams only) Marvin Harrison, Travis Henry, Green and Koren Robinson and knew I would get Chad Johnson with my next pick. I have another draft Monday and will try to wait until later.

Ragnar