PDA

View Full Version : Busted Player

bruce
08-23-2003, 07:03 PM
For the last few weeks I have seen a former top player in So. Ca. playing in the smaller middle limit games. This is a guy you see on tv, who is talked about in Card Player, who I have seen play at the biggest games at the Bellagio, Mirage, and Commerce. I played with him yesterday
and he plays like a certifiable maniac. Mind boggling to me
how he ever could beat the big games if this is indeed how he normally plays. He went through around two racks playing 30-60 then sat down and played pot limit and 25 minutes later he was busted. But then again most "tourney"
experts can't beat a live game if their life depended upon it.

Bruce

BillE
08-23-2003, 08:54 PM
whats the point of the post if you aren't going to name the player? cardrooms are public places..

it's not like he's going to come to your house and beat you up, wimp.

Homer
08-23-2003, 09:56 PM
This post is pointless if you aren't going to name names.

-- Homer

Ed Miller
08-23-2003, 09:57 PM
This post is pointless if you aren't going to name names.

And it's tasteless if you are.

snakehead
08-23-2003, 11:38 PM
the only 'big time' player I've seen playing lower limits lately is huck seed. but I've never seen him play like a maniac.

Roy Munson
08-24-2003, 10:04 AM

Mason Malmuth
08-24-2003, 01:29 PM
Hi Bruce:

So what else is new? I've been watching this phenomenon for years. Some of these people actually do play their hands great. But in full ring games, you can't give the field big head stars and expect to catch up.

Best wishes,
Mason

Mason Malmuth
08-24-2003, 01:32 PM
Hi Homer:

I disagree. Players wo play in these loose aggressive styles can do well for periods of time. Furthermore, in a large cardroom there will always be a player or two with a loose aggressive style who is currently doing great. But in the long run, virtually all of these people end up losing, and that's important for most of us to understand.

Best wishes,
Mason

Homer
08-24-2003, 03:31 PM
And it's tasteless if you are.

Yeah, but tasteless is better than pointless. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

-- Homer

Homer
08-24-2003, 03:31 PM

bruce
08-25-2003, 12:25 PM
xx

J_V
08-25-2003, 02:31 PM
What's your view of Huck? I have two friends who have played with him. Both players are very, very good and once said he's a fish and the other called him the best stud8 player he's ever played against on a daily basis. Your thoughts?

Josh W
08-25-2003, 08:43 PM
He's a tremendous stud/8 player, and good stud player.

As for holdem....I think he CAN be good, but jsut doesn't care enough, often enough. I've played with him at Hawaiian Gardens a few times this month. He plays waaaay too loose to be a winner, but his ego convinces him he can play 73o and get away with it. How he plays in a 20-40 game with fish at HG is, I'm sure, quite different than how he plays 80-160 at Commerce.

But his ego will stop him from playing well...

Josh

J_V
08-25-2003, 08:58 PM
Wow, that's exactly what I hear. My friend one like 12BB at 40-80 against him with one pair. But he's got a knack for tilting players. But that was hold em.

My other buddy is a stud player and says he's a shark. He also says he's got a weirder side and just might not have the key screws in place.

bruce
08-26-2003, 01:53 PM
I almost ..hit in my pants and laughed at the same time when Huck called three bets from the big blind with 63o and he flopped a straight and then the board paired and he lost dusted off five stacks of chips.

Bruce

bruce
08-26-2003, 02:22 PM
I was shocked by his looseness. He played garbage and he never threw a hand away from the blind. When Huck played a hand regardless of position or hand strength he always raised. The whole table would limp and Huck for example raised on the button with 9To.

He appeared very stressed and anxious. He couldn't keep still. He would play a round and then disappear for 30
minutes. He was pale looking and he avoided eye contact
with other players and never said a word. He just appeared
to me as an odd duck.

Bruce

lefty rosen
08-26-2003, 04:05 PM
I heard he used to play craps, with his poker winnings, do you think a righty tighty like Skalansky would ever toss away thousands at that rigged game? He needs GA and to get a job.........

Rick Nebiolo
08-26-2003, 05:01 PM
I noticed this post a few days ago thought is was Huck and didn't have time to post (and wasn't sure it was proper). Since the cat is out of the bag here are some more recent Huck hands:

1) $300 buy in NL tournament: Solid player limps UTG for $25 early (both Huck and this player are deep). All fold to Huck in SB. Huck makes it $100. Solid player makes it $400 or so. Huck goes all in for about $1200. Solid player calls and his AA busts Huck's 88. First and only rebuy for Huck used up.

2) Three limpers in NL tournament (or was it ring) game. Huck makes big raise out of a blind with Tc4c. One caller with big cards takes down Huck's entire stack.

3) Huck versus Hero: Hero jumps in 5-10 pot limit game (playing pot limit for first time) with $400 buy in. Early limper. Hero limps with 77 from late middle. Button limper. Huck makes big raise to $60 from SB. All but Hero fold (BTW, I hated Hero's call here given she is not deep but after seeing and hearing more of Huck's play I'm not so sure). Flop is K-5-3. Huck bets pot ($150). Hero calls and is now pot stuck (against many players I hate this call). Turn is 4 or 6 giving Hero inside straight draw. Huck puts Hero all in. River is a nine. Huck tries to get Hero to turn over hand first. Hero is a little too sweet here and says pair. Huck says small pair. Hero turns over hand. Hero's hand is good. Huck doesn't show.

I've heard or seen more Huck plays lately but all the bad play mixes up my mind ;-). My guess is Huck's problem has something to do with hubris.

Rick

Rushmore
08-26-2003, 05:32 PM
Do you know the feeling you get when you're playing good solid poker, but you just can't win? You keep thinking it will end, it MUST end. So you continue to play good solid poker, and it does NOT end. You start to feel, well, almost as if you were insane.

If you were to keep playing, you might play as if you were insane. You might get to the point where the aforementioned "good solid poker" seemed like a total waste of time.

ESPECIALLY if you felt you deserved to win, that you had earned the right to win, or that you were quite simply better than everyone else.

No offense intended to Huck Seed, but this actually sounds like a pathology that's probably easily defined by any novice poker player.

It's called TILT.

This just sounds like an extreme, prolonged case.

mike l.
08-26-2003, 09:30 PM
huck's been playing the little limits with us for quite awhile. a couple months ago his brother (who is actually a really good player imo) was playing 15-30 with us at hp and huck was playing the nl tourney one table thing and huck came over and played his brother's short stack for awhile. he played exactly one hand in 1/2 hour: pocket aces. and that's how he's played every time ive played against him. so id be interested where it is he's playing wild tilted cuckoo hold em so i can come see up close and personal. like directly on my right.