PDA

View Full Version : Did i fold correctly?

ftball0000
08-23-2003, 04:04 AM
Hi all,

Thanks for the replies to my previous post. Here's another I would like comments on.

Party 2/4 I am UTG+1 and am dealt AJo

I limp as do 2 others behind me SB completes and BB checks

FLOP-- 3h Ah 4h

SB checks, BB bets, I raise, everyone else folds to the BB he re-raises, i fold.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance,
-Ftball

LKJ
08-23-2003, 04:27 AM
Probably better to fold. Yes, there's a chance he's ramming and jamming the king of hearts, but that's the only way he's behind you at this point. He's the BB, could be any two hearts, could be A3, A4, a set....AK and AQ are also ahead of you, of course. Even on Party, most players aren't stupid enough to 3-bet you with just a pair of aces and a kicker worse than a jack.
You're either drawing very thin, or your opponent is drawing quite live against you. Since you didn't mention it, I'm assuming your jack wasn't the jack of hearts? If it was, I'd consider calling at 10-1 odds to see how my opponent reacts if a fourth heart falls (or a jack falling may pull you ahead, or at least giving you outs to the nut full house).

Ed Miller
08-23-2003, 04:41 AM
What do you think?

Horrible. I would expect to have the best hand in that spot.

Edit: Oops.. missed the 3-flush. I still think the fold is poor. You should at least call the flop and see what comes off on the turn.

ftball0000
08-23-2003, 09:48 AM
just to clarify things, I had A /images/graemlins/spade.gif J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif otherwise i would have made a call and hope.

Thanks for the replies so far,

-Ftball

johnb
08-23-2003, 12:27 PM
To me, this hand illustrates one of the main reasons to raise pre flop with hands like A-J offsuit. The more I play the more I become convinced that getting the blinds out gives you enough ev that you should be raising these hands. If you raise pre flop with A-J it is a lot easier to put the blind on two pair when he three bets. You also get trash hands like j-5 hearts out and don’t allow them to catch the miracle flop that beats you.

A quick story to illustrate. One of the biggest pots I won the last time I was in Las Vegas was when I held 7-4 offsuit in the big blind and saw a flop of 7-7-4. A pair of tens who did not raise in late position after three callers was, shall we say, mildly upset when I turned over my full house on the end. If he had raised, I was gone with 7-4.

MrDannimal
08-23-2003, 10:12 PM
I really don't like raising with AJo that early. If you get even a couple of callers, not only is it a bad sign for you, but it's even less likely to drive out the BB, who only has to call 1 bet to your 2. God forbid you get 3-bet pre-flop, too.

Position kills this for me. I think it's a much different case not raising with TT late then AJo early.

lil'
08-23-2003, 10:56 PM
I'm not getting involved in what to do with A-Jo preflop, but I would not fold that flop most of the time.

ftball0000
08-24-2003, 02:23 AM
hi there,

just to clarify things, I raised the flop not pre-flop.

Thanks,
-Ftball

TBone
08-24-2003, 05:03 AM
At Party 2/4, I'd raise AJo that early. AJo is a hand best suited for few callers. If I can thin out the callers, all the better. Plus, at Party 2/4, I think in a lot of situations, you'll have callers playing hands much worse than yours. Being three-bet isn't that big of a concern IMO since a lot of the Party 2/4 I've played has been relatively passive.

Now, if you move up a level or two, it's likely a different story.

T