PDA

View Full Version : Fair and Balanced

andyfox
08-23-2003, 01:21 AM
Perhaps, in light of today's decision in their brilliant brief against Al Franken, Fox News ought to change their slogan to "wholly without merit, both factually and legally."

Wake up CALL
08-23-2003, 12:29 PM
Andy I suppose you are ignoring the fact that Al Franken admitted to intentionally misleading our honorable US Attorney General and using Harvard letterhead to perpetuate and add legitimacy to his lies.

HDPM
08-23-2003, 12:32 PM
Andy is just covering for the fact that they named the network after him. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

andyfox
08-23-2003, 03:32 PM
C'mon, Al Franken is a comedian, a satirist. His last book was called "Rush Limbaugh is a Big Fat Idiot" or something like that. Fox News claimed that by using the words fair and balanced people would think Franken was affiliated with the network. All Fox did by suing was 1) give publicity of Franken (his book is #2 on Amazon) and 2) give more pause to those of us who think the emptiest barrels rattle the loudest: keep telling us how fair and balanced you are, and sue others from even using those words, and one wonders exactly how fair and balanced you really are.

But really HDPM hit the nail on the head: I'm thinking of suing Fox News for using my name.

Wake up CALL
08-23-2003, 04:09 PM
Andy I think you should pursue the lawsuit. You may however have a bit of trouble showing that you are fair and balanced.

andyfox
08-24-2003, 01:29 AM
Fair enough.

/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Robbe
08-24-2003, 10:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Andy I suppose you are ignoring the fact that Al Franken admitted to intentionally misleading our honorable US Attorney General and using Harvard letterhead to perpetuate and add legitimacy to his lies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just curious... Which lies are those? Thanks.

Wake up CALL
08-24-2003, 10:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just curious... Which lies are those? Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Briefly he told Ashcroft that while soliciting his views on teen abstinence that he had already secured statements from other key administration officials. ie: Condeleza Rice, Colin Powell, and other high ranking administration officials. He sent this request on Harvard stationary with the implication that they concurred and had their support for his newest book research regarding teen abstinence for which he was securing an opinion from the Attorney General.

He later made a public aplolgy but not to Mr. Ashcroft for lying but to Harvard for using their esteemend institution to further his personal gain without either their permission or their endorsement.

brad
08-24-2003, 04:22 PM
just so u know, wakeupcall , youre not part of the 'establishment'

Robbe
08-24-2003, 06:46 PM
I had just found out more here (http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/frankenabs1.html) .

It looks like he did apologize to the AG, but wasn't really trying to lie to him. Just a bone-headed, unfunny attempt at satire.

Wake up CALL
08-24-2003, 07:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
just so u know, wakeupcall , youre not part of the 'establishment'

[/ QUOTE ]

brad, what does that mean exactly? And how would you know?

Wake up CALL
08-24-2003, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the link Robbe. I never meant to lie to my parents when I was young either. They just didn't understand satire.

brad
08-24-2003, 07:41 PM
well i hear people say 'we got iraqs oil'. yeah right. youre still gonna end up paying 4$/gallon at the pump buddy.

i mean hey you might have a million bucks, but thats only middle class.

bayes theorum.

Wake up CALL
08-24-2003, 08:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
well i hear people say 'we got iraqs oil'. yeah right. youre still gonna end up paying 4$/gallon at the pump buddy.

i mean hey you might have a million bucks, but thats only middle class.

bayes theorum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the response brad but I was really looking for some sort of clarification, not another riddle. I'm trying my best but do not understand what my net worth, Iraqs oil or $4 per gallon gasoline has to do with my not being part of the "establishment". Nor for that matter how whether or not I might or might not be a menber has anything to do with this thread. I am afraid to ask for additional clarification so thanks, I think.