PDA

View Full Version : Draw poker question

SoCalPat
08-22-2003, 08:13 PM
I'm playing in a 5-handed 1/2 game at Paradise, and I'm dealt a pair of queens with a four-flush UTG. I limp UTG, and the CO raises. The button and both blinds complete/call the raise.

I can fold, and be done with it. But with all four players in, it just doesn't seem right, as I'm getting 8-1 to call the raise, and significantly better odds to make my flush.

But if I do call the raise, do I stick with the queens or go for the flush. I'd quit playing cards forever if the raiser (a solid player) couldn't beat queens at this point, so it seems silly to draw for trips or 2 pair, knowing I could make those and still lose. And he has position on me, so I'm not getting any hints from the number of cards he takes. Plus, my implied odds if I do hit are huge (hoping the raiser doesn't have a pat hand and is drawing as well).

So, what is it here? Try and improve the queens, or go for the flush?

FWIW, I went for the flush and ended up with a lower pair. It was checked around and the raiser showed trips (7s or 8s, IIRC).

Ed Miller
08-22-2003, 08:39 PM
I can't imagine limping in with your hand is correct. Beyond that, it seems like a clear play to me to call the raise and draw to the flush.

SoCalPat
08-23-2003, 12:24 AM
Yeah, as soon as I posted, I went back to a Card Player story that detailed starting hands, and apparently, I needed to brush up. Never open-limp, and don't play queens from UTG.

Must've worked somewhat as I registered a 25 BB win earlier tonight. But yeah, ditch those queens from UTG. I agree.

Ed Miller
08-23-2003, 04:50 AM
Actually, I'm no draw poker expert (in fact I can only draw on my general poker knowledge to draw conclusions about the game), but I would guess that your hand is playable from UTG in a 5-handed game there. I would say that Queens are probably about the bubble for opening from that spot, and the 4-flush gives you extra value if all goes wrong (as it did here). But I can't imagine that limping is correct... I think you should basically always be open-raising in that game.