PDA

View Full Version : Helpful advice for a newbie investor

obi---one
08-22-2003, 12:50 AM
I am dipping my toe into the world of investing. I am a neophtye and have just read a few books on investing. As well as viewing this and other posts. I was hoping I could get some advice on what books or venues I should go to learn more about various investments and just increasing my overall "financial intelligence"

PuffsNutz
08-22-2003, 05:00 AM
There are a few books by Jack Schwager that
are titled something along the lines of :Stock Market
Wizards...

He wrote 2 of them. They're basically a collection
of interviews with some very successful traders.
Good information.

deathtoau
08-27-2003, 06:18 PM
I am a big fan of the Motley Fool. They have a lot of good information that is understandable. They are also champions of the individual investor.

www.fool.com (http://www.fool.com)

Otherwise, read any book by Charles Schwab or Warren Buffett and you can't go wrong.

Ray Zee
08-29-2003, 10:11 AM
due like what people that care about their destiny do. go to the library and read every stinkin book they got there and then find the ones they dont. this means alot of money to you for your future and if you are lazy you will have less. all that aside the best way to invest in stocks is to buy index funds from a low cost broker like vanguard or ones that actively trade on the exchange and save the majority of work for other things that are more fun to learn. good luck. think about what i am saying for awhile.

Aragorn
08-29-2003, 06:07 PM
I would start with "Stocks for the Long Run" by Jeremy Siegel

blueboles
08-30-2003, 01:17 PM
Go get a copy of "How to Make Money in Stocks" by William O'Neil. Then get a subscripition to Investors Business Daily.
Don't buy low sell high... Buy High Sell Higher!
Kelley

Pockets
08-31-2003, 09:41 PM
best way to get to know the market is to listen to AM radio on the weekends. The best maybe Bob Brink's "MONEY TALK". Hes big on NO LOAD, INDEX, MUTAL FUNDS with very low management fees.

Blanton13
09-01-2003, 12:49 AM
Both Blueboles and Puffs gave great advice. The IBD and Swagerts books are the best place to START. I was a broker for 6 years and the IBD was a MUST read everyday. The WSJ...not so much.

I'd also suggest David Fabers latest book and for the LOVE OF PETE...STAY AWAY FROM SUZE ORMAN!!!!

It's also not a bad idea to catch a book on Warren Buffet. The guys wicked smart.

I'd been leary of AM radio hosts for one reason....they pimp no load mutual funds who are 80% of their advertisers. If you do your research and find a mutual fund that returns 18% over 20 years and costs 5% up front and then 1.5% each year after.....isn't that better then a 12% no load over the same time frame?

Bottem line....Know what your buying and why. If you like oil companies because you know how they work...go with it. If you know donuts. Great. Don't be afriad to ask questions and demand an answer. Shoot....it's your money!! Never forget that....and I'd be remiss to say that if you get a good tip from a broker....thank him/her for it.

Yerma
09-01-2003, 01:25 AM
You will never find a better answer than the one I gave to Mdodd here a few months ago. Here's the link:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=196326&page=2&view=ex panded&sb=5&o=all&vc=1

deathtoau
09-02-2003, 07:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and for the LOVE OF PETE...STAY AWAY FROM SUZE ORMAN!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

That is some of the best advise I have heard. She frightens the hell out of me and her Laws of Money are even more frightening.

She reminds me of the old joke,
I saw book titled "How to Make a Million Dollars in Four Easy Steps" on sale for only $20.

Step 1 Write a book called "How to Make a Million Dollars in Four Easy Steps"
Step 2 Sell the book for $20
Step 3 Find 50,000 suckers to buy your book
Step 4 Enjoy you Million Dollars /images/graemlins/grin.gif

J_V
09-08-2003, 09:53 PM
thanks for the advice Ray...seems like good advice to me.

adios
09-09-2003, 02:00 PM
Agree with your advice (it's always good) but I still like stocks with very little analyst coverage as potential longs which you also have pointed out in the past. I'm to the point where I shy away from issues with a lot of analyst coverage for the very simple reason that why would I know more than the collective knowledge of say 15 analysts covering an issue. I fully concede that I'm not knowledgable about "technical analysis" and for those that are and make money off of it, more power to you.