PDA

View Full Version : When to talk in a tourney.....?

Blanton13
08-21-2003, 10:45 PM
At some point, be it in a single table or multi table tourney. Or even at a single table with players coming in and out. (This primarily on-line gaming...I know the answer in real life....)

At some point, the over whelming to call someone a dumb ass gets the best of me. Espcically when the dumb ass in question calls to the river and gets blind lucky.

So my question is:
Is it inappropreiate to remind someone of their need for a new tarding in the midst of a game?

Ed Miller
08-22-2003, 02:41 AM
Is it inappropreiate to remind someone of their need for a new tarding in the midst of a game?

Is it inappropriate to insult someone you've never met because he beat you in a game? I don't know... we haven't gotten to that in charm school yet.

Kurn, son of Mogh
08-22-2003, 08:36 AM

To what purpose? If the play they beat you on was truly horrendous, you want him to continue to make that play.

Let's be clear. If your opponent calls to the river with a gutshot getting only 3-1, you win every time he does that regardless of the result of the individual hand.

Online, I rarely use the chat function except to exchange pleasantries with opponents I recognize, or to say ty to someone's nh.

Bad beats are part of the game. Win or lose, the result of the last hand should be gone from your mind when the cards for the next hand are dealt.

OffTilt
08-22-2003, 09:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
At some point, be it in a single table or multi table tourney. Or even at a single table with players coming in and out. (This primarily on-line gaming...I know the answer in real life....)

At some point, the over whelming to call someone a dumb ass gets the best of me. Espcically when the dumb ass in question calls to the river and gets blind lucky.

So my question is:

[/ QUOTE ]

In a word yes, I prefer to take out my frustration with an over the top compliment: "very, very well played, it's like you have a 6th sense!"

The players making such horrible plays won't know you are being sarcastic. Hopefully he'll become convinced he's a poker genius and continue making bonehead moves.

OffTilt

------------------------------------------
Start winning hundreds at Texas Holdem with Power Holdem+
http://www.online-pokerguide.com

CrackerZack
08-22-2003, 09:50 AM
What is that saying about glass houses? I think thomastem could remind you. If his buzzard really has an eye on me I'm sure he'll appear.

Anyway, if you're calling someone a dumbass, you yourself are being a dumbass. Do you want them to improve and play better against you? Do you want to chase them off your table in a cash game?

Cosimo
08-23-2003, 12:47 AM
As per the other posters, I usually try to make that chump feel good. I want him happy, and thinking he's a good player. I frequently say 'nh' (either to players I respect who deserve it for good play, which is rare, or to goombas who couldn't find their ass with both hands yet somehow seem to have their mouse stuck on 'raise' even with runner-runner draws).

-cos