PDA

View Full Version : 66 vs. ??

LKJ
08-21-2003, 07:21 PM
Fairly loose 2/4 table at Party. I'm dealt 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif in MP. EP limps, I limp, player immediately to my left raises. Most of the players at this table are pretty weak, but the raiser here is at least solid in his hand selection from my observations. His raise clears the field down to the three of us. I'm hating this hand already. 3 of us to the flop for 7.5 small bets.

The flop: 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gifA /images/graemlins/club.gif7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Jackpot! EP, to my surprise, bets out. I smooth call, PF raiser, who is usually pretty aggressive on all streets, just calls (I now have him on KK or QQ).

The turn: Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif
Umm, I don't so much like this card. Flop bettor now checks. I bet, PF raiser now raises. Erg. EP folds, I reraise, PF raiser caps. That can't be good. Either he slowplayed a set of aces on the flop, turned a set of queens...my best case scenario here is that he's on AQ.

River: A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
Lovely, my best case scenario just drew out on me too. I check, he bets, I make the crying call.

Two main questions, I guess...
Was the flat call on the flop a really bad play?
Was the river call worth it?

Dynasty
08-21-2003, 08:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Was the flat call on the flop a really bad play?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are very few hands your opponent will be holding that you actually want to fold. So, you'd much rather have him call one bet with QQ than to fold QQ for two bets.

[ QUOTE ]
Was the river call worth it?

[/ QUOTE ]

It was fine. Occassionally, you'll be shown AhKh or some other hand which 66 beats.

LKJ
08-21-2003, 10:28 PM
I called on the end, my opponent turned over A /images/graemlins/spade.gifK /images/graemlins/spade.gif and I took it down. What the HECK? I can understand just calling the flop I guess, but capping after I 3-bet him is insane IMO. Anyway, no complaints here, I figured AK was the only holding I could beat, and figured that the 14-to-1 pot odds made it worth a call.

Mikey
08-21-2003, 10:59 PM
"14-1 pot odds made it worth a call."

if by some chance, a gust of wind came over the table and blew off some chips and you were now getting 2-1 pot odds,

I think you would still make the call, I do not see anyone, folding this full house unless they know absolutely for sure that they are beat. By stating what the pot contained "14-1" and the reason for making the call is just flawed thinking.

I don't see how you can fold a full house when flopping a set.

me454555
08-21-2003, 11:08 PM
I would disagree w/only calling on the flop. If you've flopped trips, you can safely assume that you've got the best hand at the moment. With the possibility of a strait draw on the board and the power hand that the preflop raiser may have, you don't want to loose your advantage. A rasie their would protect your hand by forcing all drawing hands to pay for their next card. IMHO, its better to win a few small pots than loose a large one

Jim Easton
08-21-2003, 11:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't see how you can fold a full house when flopping a set.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had 77 on a J97 flop. 9 on the turn, J on the river. I safely folded my flopped set and turned boat. My hand would have been good for 3rd place.

Mikey
08-21-2003, 11:38 PM
well when the board double pairs like that you have a point, but when the board reads

6 7 A A Q.

and you have 66, Let's see if you "safely" fold that one.

Stu Pidasso
08-21-2003, 11:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What the HECK? I can understand just calling the flop I guess, but capping after I 3-bet him is insane IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps this player feels he can push you around. Think about some of the other hands you played where you and he were involved in the same pot.

Stu

Uston
08-22-2003, 12:16 AM
Linton Kwesi Johnson?

Lost Shaker Assault
08-22-2003, 12:18 AM
(first post!)
I have seen a lot of people, at least at the .50/$1 and $1/2 tables that I play, slow-playing a flopped pair of aces by checking or calling the flop. That looks like what he was trying to do here.

LKJ
08-22-2003, 05:10 AM
Well, I explained my reasoning, it seems realistic to place him on two holdings that are most probable (AQ, QQ), one that is possible although mathematically improbable at this point (AA), one of which he's likely on and all of which beat me.
One point that Dynasty brought up was the AhKh possibility that he would have been playing correctly, with TPTK and the nut draw on the turn....I didn't think of that and should have.
My problem was that I gave the guy too much credit...even if he's solid overall, his AsKs here was horribly misplayed.

Anyway, for what it's worth, I never hesitated to call him and never seriously considered folding, I just felt like I was almost certainly beat by the time I did call him. I may have a thing or two to learn, giving that much respect to a player at a 2/4 Party table.

Thanks for the input everyone.

LKJ
08-22-2003, 05:12 AM
Well, umm...you got the Johnson part right. /images/graemlins/cool.gif