PDA

View Full Version : Just had to share this

WalleyeJason
08-21-2003, 05:47 PM
Just had to post some tidbits from last night session, it was a lot of fun and I just had to share this with somebody

Game 5-10

Lineup

3 Players Loose and aggressive (LA) will play all suited cards, any Ace. ect ect
2 Solid players, licking their chops
2 complete Morons that don’t have a clue, can’t remember if they left the stove on at home
1 Manic- Straddle every time and is running lucky, very mouthy talking trash and will re-raise anytime another player raises.
Me (So excited to be in this game)

Manic to my Left has about $500,

I get delt QQ

LA opens UTG+1 two callers to me and I raise. Manic starts talking trash "OH your building another pot for me! I’m sure I have a better hand than you- Re-raise!"

Of course The 2 morons are discussing something about Star Trek, and call.

I think about re-raising again, but decide to just call. (I should have capped it)

Flop comes Qh 3S Ts

It’s checked to me and I go for the check-raise. Of course the manic doesn’t believe in checking So he bets.

One of the two Morons now discussing Mork From Ork "Nanu-Nanu" Calls. It's back to me and I raise.
Again the manic starts getting lippy, but just calls and splashes the pot Saying " I think I still have you beat but Im gonna call"

So the Turn comes and its a 9c

Now the Manic checks moron checks and I bet. Manic check-raises and says " you cant win now, you better fold" At this point the dealer tells the
guy to not talk about the hand.

I really don’t care that he's talking [censored], but the dealer cant stand the guy.

I decide that this guy could be holding J8 and decide to just call. At this point this guy starts saying "Send-It, it’s all mine, better save your money"

I figure that now he’s just talking [censored] for the sake of hearing himself talk.

The river brings a 9s

I’m watching the manic, and when he sees the card, he quickly looks at me and Says "that’s my card, too bad for you!"

I all giggly inside, but try not to bust a smile. I throw out $10 and say "No, it’s our card" He raises and I hesitate for a moment look at him and say "Ill raise you back."

Well he caps the betting and turns one his cards over 9 and says “Ill save you $10" I just Smile, Call his bet and say, "it will take one more of those to beat me" and show him my Queens.

He mucks his other card into pile of cards, so I never got to see it over that HUGE stack of chips the dealer was pushing my way.

Needles to say He started talking trash, “I had you all the way man, you sucked out”

A bout 20 min later I get KK and it gets capped before the flop.

I flop a K and scoop another huge pot

At this point the manic is starting to become quite.

A little while later I am in my SB when the Manic throws down a straddle and says “we are here to gamble so let’s gamble”

I look at my Cards and I have 23off

I plan on folding but everybody else folded. So I called and told him I’d see the flop.

He checks,

Flop 2 3 K rainbow

I bet, he calls.

Turn 8

I bet he calls

River, J

I check he bets, I raise he calls, I show him my 23 and he mucks

Make a long story short, I tuned him for That 500 he had sitting in front of him.

When he left the game pretty much was filled with solid players so I went home.

I had a blast.

Tosh
08-21-2003, 06:01 PM
Why didn't you raise the turn on the QQ hand? If he's a maniac then he'll almost certainly call or maybe reraise.

WalleyeJason
08-21-2003, 06:03 PM
Probably should have, I guess I missed that.

WJ

JTG51
08-21-2003, 06:05 PM
I predict that you won't enjoy reading the resonses to this thread nearly as much as you enjoyed your session.

WalleyeJason
08-21-2003, 06:14 PM
Hey,

I enjoed my Session.

And I will enjoy hearing any constructive Critisism of my play.

I dont claim to be an Expert on Poker, Im still learning, and have a lot to learn. So Blast away!!!

WJ

Tosh
08-21-2003, 06:34 PM
Btw I liked how you dealt with him. Nice and polite, let him talk his trash, you know you own him at this point.

Homer
08-21-2003, 06:56 PM
I don't understand the comment:

“I had you all the way man, you sucked out”

The board was Q3T 9 9

You had QQ, and he had 9x. How in the world is it possible that he was ahead and you sucked out on him?

Also, why didn't you three-bet the turn and why didn't you keep raising on the river? When he shows you one of his cards he isn't trying to be nice, he's trying to get you to stop raising because he's worried that his hand isn't best.

-- Homer

Ulysses
08-21-2003, 07:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think about re-raising again, but decide to just call. (I should have capped it)

[/ QUOTE ]
Re-raise. Of course re-raise.

[ QUOTE ]
I decide that this guy could be holding J8 and decide to just call.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you're going to be worried, you should also be worried about KJ. But this is a maniac. You have top set and if he does have a straight you have plenty of re-draws. Re-raise. Re-raise. Re-raise.

[ QUOTE ]
I throw out $10 and say "No, it’s our card"

[/ QUOTE ]
Next time you say something like this, maniac might actually consider things and call instead of raising. Something to think about.

[ QUOTE ]
Well he caps the betting and turns one his cards over 9 and says “Ill save you $10" I just Smile, Call his bet and say, "it will take one more of those to beat me" and show him my Queens.

[/ QUOTE ]
Is there a cap on betting when it's heads-up where you play? If not, you have to re-raise here. It'll take a few more bets before I even consider giving the maniac credit for 99.

[ QUOTE ]
I look at my Cards and I have 23off
I plan on folding but everybody else folded. So I called and told him I’d see the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
Your initial plan was good. If you're just out to have fun, that's cool. I've made a lot of questionable moves at the table just because I was screwing around. But calling w/ just about the worst possible hand heads-up against even a maniac raiser is a good way to give some of that money back. Wait until you have at least a 4-high to tangle with him.

hockey1
08-22-2003, 11:39 AM
This is my first post, so it's fitting that it's born of my own ignorance. I understand that the conventional wisdom is to cap pre-flop in this situation, but I don't understand why. Doesn't it risk driving out the hands you're ahead of (which I understand isn't necessarily a bad thing) but keeping in the hands you're behind? And doesn't capping allow your opponents to put you on a hand?

On a related point, can someone explain why it's common to see a cascade effect, where once someone 3-bets pre-flop a cap bet seems almost mandatory, in particular in multi-way pots? In these situations I see people capping with 99 and even high suited connectors. What's proper strategy here?

angry young man
08-22-2003, 03:50 PM
QQ hand:
-you have to cap that preflop
-there is some confusion in your story, on the flop you checkraise the Manic (did you mean maniac?) then on the turn he checkraises you. how'd that happen?
-you have to reraise that turn
-was it capped on the river or did you stop raising by choice? if so it was a bad choice. Also you shouldn't say anything during the hand, it always gives something away (even if this guy won't understand it).

Mike Gallo
08-22-2003, 09:28 PM
I understand that the conventional wisdom is to cap pre-flop in this situation, but I don't understand why

When you have the best hand preflop, you want to charge everyone in the pot to suck out on you.

On a related point, can someone explain why it's common to see a cascade effect, where once someone 3-bets pre-flop a cap bet seems almost mandatory, in particular in multi-way pots? In these situations I see people capping with 99 and even high suited connectors. What's proper strategy here?

Players tend to think capping becomes better than calling. Some of these players want to build a bigger pot.

Michael