Aximillian
08-21-2003, 08:48 AM
Paradise .50/1

Delt TdTs UTG

CO+1 and button are only folders. 6 see flop

Flop [ 5c Th Kh ]

SB check, BB bet, I raise, SB and one other fold, rest call. 4 players

Turn [ 5c Th Kh ] [ 7h ]

Checks to CO who bets, all call. same 4 players.

I check-call here because I fear the flush. If I fill up on the river, I go to town...

River [ 5c Th Kh 7h ] [ Ac ]

Checks to bettor who bets, two fold (including me) one caller.

*To clarify, it was the BB who called the final bet*

How'd this go? Do I raise on the turn instead? If so, why? Also, any idea what CO had? Hint, it wasn't the flush...

CrackerZack
08-21-2003, 08:55 AM
Terrible fold.

I assume you didn't raise PF, so you have 3 BBs in PF.

You flop a set, raise the flop, good. After flop, there are 7 BBs in the pot.

Turn is terrible. You have to bet here when checked to. You can't c/r and hope to knock more than one person out so bet out. Any high heart is gonna call you anyway and you have 10 outs on the river and its very likely you're best here. If you get raised, what to do is a bit more player dependent. If he would only raise with the flush, call the turn, if he'd raise a big heart with a pair, pop him back.

River, Now there is 11 BBs in the pot, you didn't fill, but still its very likely you're good. I'm not sure who folded, but even if the BB called here, I would certainly go for the overcall. are you 91% sure your hand isn't good?

See the MK rule.

My guess, since the tone of your post isn't angry, that C/O had QhJx and hit the straight on the river.

Aximillian
08-21-2003, 11:42 AM
CO had AA for a better set

kiddo
08-21-2003, 12:09 PM
Dont fear the flush on turn untill they raise you. BUT, fear the freecard that could give someone with sutied T a flush, they would fold if you bet turn.

Remember, if you call this 5 times and win 1 its very good. You pay 5 and win about 10.

I wouldnt fold toppair at this river. If I had AQ I would call. A set is a monster.

And one more thing. Noone had the flush. Yes he was very lucky and hit his set, but you would have folded anyway.

Almost never fold a set on river as long as the board dont have 4 flushcard and both a bet and a call/raise before you. Even then, think about calling.

Louie Landale
08-21-2003, 01:05 PM
The cost of raising the turn may appear to be 2bb (the flush caps it), but really you are only a 3:1 dog to fill up and so get 1/4 of all the money invested. If you 2-bet and get 3-bet by a sure flush and someone else is in, it really only costs 1bb. And, that means you don't have to pay it off.

The benefits of raising the turn (when your hand is good) is enormous. You will get about 3/4 of all the money they invest, which is a lot. Also, you can easily drive out players drawing to beat you, if there are tight players with KsUpTs (drawing to 2 outs) or someone with a straight draw (drawing to 6 outs but doesn't know it). Also, you get to bet the river in this scenario.

You can throw this one away on the river its it a Mother Theresa type betting. Otherwise... you have a big hand, the pot is big, and there is some doubt.

Like Stonewall Jackson said: "Don't take council in your fear". Yes, you can easily be beat but that shouldn't stop you from betting your hand.

- Louie

J.R.
08-21-2003, 01:32 PM
Raise preflop

Bet the turn. That makes it easier to play the river, as the 3 hearts are just as scary to your opponents if they don't have 2 of them, you charge any singleton hearts, and more likely you will trap other players if a heart flush raises, allowing you to get more value on your full-house draw as you are seeing the river. By checking and check-raising, you are less sure what the late position player is betting (many players bet a wide range of hands in LP when checked ot on the turn), and you are more likely to drive out the other players, who are likely drawing dead or thin against your set and whose calls you would like as you have a nice draw if behind.

Call the river given the way you played the hand.

Ed Miller
08-21-2003, 04:28 PM
Sorry man, but you really misplayed this hand.

You should generally be raising TT from UTG. It's just too good not to. You should be betting the turn. Often you will not be against a flush, and you can't give free cards to small hearts in what is already a decent pot. If you get raised, you still have 10 outs to win, and with another caller or two, you will often be getting close to value on the turn.

The river laydown was HORRIBLE. You will lose all your money if you make laydowns like this routinely. You have no good reason to think your VERY STRONG hand is no good. Sometimes it will be no good, but it will be good way more than the 7% of the time it has to be good to make a call profitable.

Bob T.
08-21-2003, 04:34 PM
Pathetic laydown. Whoever was looking for examples of weak tight should look at this hand.

If you never lay down a set for one bet on the river, you won't be making a big mistake.

Bet the turn, and slow down if you get raised.

Bet the river, if you weren't raised on the turn, and if you get raised on the river, you should probably still call.

GuyOnTilt
08-21-2003, 04:48 PM
I hate to say it, but you butchered this hand pretty badly.

Preflop: I think your limp here is fine. A lot of posters will tell you to open raise to drive out as many overcards as possible. However, at Paradise .5/1, this just doesn't happen. I think limping here is fine hoping to flop a set or overpair.

Flop: Raising is good. You played it fine here.

Turn: Here is where you start to kill yourself. You MUST, and I repeat MUST, bet out here for exactly the reason you stated! By checking, you have no read on whether the bettor has a flush or not. He could have 2-pair, he could have been slow-playing a lower set, he may just have a strong king. But you have no clue because you failed to bet out! Check-raising is wrong here, you MUST bet out! If someone raises you, then you can slow down.

River: Again, bet out if you're not raised on the turn. If you were raised on the turn, then still check-call, as 2-pair or a lower set may have played the same way. There are many hands you can beat here. Laying down here is horrible.

Comments: After reading this post, I went back and read some of your others and have come to this conclusion: You are weak-tight. I realize you may take this as an insult, but it's not meant to be. You MUST become more aggressive in your game. Do more betting for info instead of checking. 3-bet the flop more often with top pair good kicker. Do less limping preflop and more raising and folding. I realize that all these things can be taken to the extreme, but I don't know if that wouldn't be a good thing for you to do, just so you can get in a more aggressive mindset with your game.

I assume you want to improve your game since you're posting here, so that's good. Keep it up. But you definitely need to be more aggressive when you have a hand. Don't become a calling station.

Aximillian
08-21-2003, 04:56 PM
Hey all, I want to say that I will NEVER be insulted by someone telling me I played poorly. I felt very bad after this hand, that's why I posted it. I also strongly suspected I've been playing weak-tight, that's also why I posted it. Thanks for all the good advise. I learned a lot more from this post than from my others. I'm not afraid of posting hands like this because I know something was wrong and I had to find out why. Now I know. Like I said, I suspected I was playing weak tight and now it's been confirmed, I'm not insulted, I'm pleased that someone told me like it is. Don't anyone ever be afraid to insult me, you can't, and I can only get better from it.

Kurn, son of Mogh
08-21-2003, 04:59 PM
Bet the turn. You're likely ahead and you have 10 outs if you're raised.

GuyOnTilt
08-21-2003, 05:02 PM
I like your attitude. Keep it up and your will undoubtedly improve. Good for you.

Keep posting.