PDA

View Full Version : Parting is Such Sweet Sorrow

Festus22
08-21-2003, 08:05 AM
Here's 4 hands that I had last night and this morning playing Paradise $0.5/1. Tables are pretty typical with maybe 40% seeing the flop.

HAND 1
A /images/graemlins/heart.gifK /images/graemlins/heart.gif UTG+1. I open raise. MP, CO and 1 blind call. Flop [A /images/graemlins/spade.gif7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif]. I bet, MP calls, CO folds, BB raises, I 3 bet, MP folds, BB caps. Turn: 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. What's the play here? Check/call, check/fold, bet & fold to a raise?

HAND 2
A /images/graemlins/spade.gifA /images/graemlins/diamond.gif in LP. EP and MP limp, I raise, SB and limpers call. Flop [Q /images/graemlins/club.gifQ /images/graemlins/diamond.gifJ /images/graemlins/club.gif]. EP bets, MP folds, I raise, BB 3 bets, EP calls. Do I cap, call or fold here? Assuming I'm still in, turn: 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif. EP bets. Now what?

HAND 3
A /images/graemlins/spade.gifQ /images/graemlins/spade.gif UTG. I open raise. MP and one blind calls. Flop [A /images/graemlins/heart.gif9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif] Not again! (This was the next orbit from HAND 1). Trying a different tactic, I check, MP bets, blind call, I checkraise, MP 3 bets, blind folds. Call or bail here? Assuming I'm still in, turn Q /images/graemlins/club.gif. What now? Bet and fold to a raise? Check/call or check/fold?

HAND 4
QQ in CO. UTG limps, MP calls, I raise, blinds fold, limpers call. Flop [J, 7, 2 rainbow]. UTG bets, MP folds, I raise, UTG calls. Turn [J, 7, 2] J. UTG bets. What's the play here? He called my PF raise, he called my flop raise and now he bets into me.

Do you lay any or all these down? If so, where?

Results and what I did to follow.

Joe Tall
08-21-2003, 08:32 AM
Yokies! What a quagmire of f-ed up hands!

Hand #1

You are heads up with the BB...so check/call is out. He check-raised and capped so he may have the flush, however he's just has likely to have a lone Ace or the K /images/graemlins/spade.gif or even AK w/K /images/graemlins/spade.gif. I'd call him down.

Hand #2

Puke on your keyboard.

[ QUOTE ]
SB and limpers call. Flop [Q Q J ]. EP bets, MP folds, I raise, BB 3 bets

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that the same check-raisey m-fer from the first hand or is that the SB? If it's a different player I think you can lay this down. If the showdown went in your favor on Hand #1 and it's the BB, I'd call down. Now that the /images/graemlins/club.gif hits the turn it depends on what your action was on the flop and what his action is on the turn.

Hand#3

I'd come over the top and cap, and if a non- /images/graemlins/heart.gif hits the turn I'd bet out. MP could be jamming a high /images/graemlins/heart.gif this way. If you are raised on the turn I think you can lay it down.

Hand#4

I'd raise the turn and lay down to a 3-bet.

I hope there are many responses to this because I'm not completely confindent in how I'd play these...wow what a set of trouble hands.

Peace,
LJF33

Tosh
08-21-2003, 08:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
HAND 1
A /images/graemlins/heart.gifK /images/graemlins/heart.gif UTG+1. I open raise. MP, CO and 1 blind call. Flop [A /images/graemlins/spade.gif7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif]. I bet, MP calls, CO folds, BB raises, I 3 bet, MP folds, BB caps. Turn: 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. What's the play here? Check/call, check/fold, bet & fold to a raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well you raised pre flop and capped the flop. He can probably put you on a hand of AA, AK or AQ. If he's still betting on the turn he's telling you that he can beat at least AK or AQ. He can also be fairly sure you don't have a flush as there is only really KQ /images/graemlins/spade.gif that you could have made the pre flop raise with. Against a maniac you can check call the turn and river but against most opponents bet and fold to a raise.

[ QUOTE ]
HAND 2
A /images/graemlins/spade.gifA /images/graemlins/diamond.gif in LP. EP and MP limp, I raise, SB and limpers call. Flop [Q /images/graemlins/club.gifQ /images/graemlins/diamond.gifJ /images/graemlins/club.gif]. EP bets, MP folds, I raise, BB 3 bets, EP calls. Do I cap, call or fold here? Assuming I'm still in, turn: 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif. EP bets. Now what?

[/ QUOTE ]

With this much action on a paired board (it looks just as scary to them as it does to you if they don't trips) you are almost certainly beaten. Your bet closes the action and you have position over them so I think you can call and see what they do on the turn. If its bet and raised before you it is an easy fold. If theres a bet and a call, its closer but I'd still chuck.

[ QUOTE ]
HAND 3
A /images/graemlins/spade.gifQ /images/graemlins/spade.gif UTG. I open raise. MP and one blind calls. Flop [A /images/graemlins/heart.gif9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif] Not again! (This was the next orbit from HAND 1). Trying a different tactic, I check, MP bets, blind call, I checkraise, MP 3 bets, blind folds. Call or bail here? Assuming I'm still in, turn Q /images/graemlins/club.gif. What now? Bet and fold to a raise? Check/call or check/fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

Again its hard to see many worse hands than yours playing this way. Frankly I put this guy on a set of 9s as opposed to the flush but either way you're drawing almost dead. I think you probably have to call on this flop. After the queen hits test him out again. If you think he has a lower 2 pair that he'll continue to bet then maybe try a check raise. If he reraises then give it up or if you really want you can call him down, but you're almost certainly beaten.

[ QUOTE ]
HAND 4
QQ in CO. UTG limps, MP calls, I raise, blinds fold, limpers call. Flop [J, 7, 2 rainbow]. UTG bets, MP folds, I raise, UTG calls. Turn [J, 7, 2] J. UTG bets. What's the play here? He called my PF raise, he called my flop raise and now he bets into me.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's screaming at you that he has AJ. Raise him and if he reraises drop. If he calls and checks to you on the river then take a showdown unless you make a full house.

Festus22
08-21-2003, 09:50 AM
HAND 1 - I called BB's turn and river bet. He turned over 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif. 0 for 1

HAND 2 - I think I still had too much forward inertia and called the flop 3 bet even though I was sure I was beat. I folded to EP's turn bet. He had A /images/graemlins/club.gif 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif and the BB had QTo. 0 for 2.

HAND 3 - I check/called it down (UGH!!!). Thinking about it, I should have bet the turn and folded to a raise. But then again, was check/calling OK? Maybe cost me a big bet here. MP had K /images/graemlins/heart.gifT /images/graemlins/heart.gif for the flopped nut flush - of course. 0 for 3. I was pretty stunned after that one. In the course of 10 hands, I had TPTK (AK) and TP good kicker (AQ) cracked by a flopped flush. As they say, that's poker.

HAND 4 - I folded to the turn bet. Again, this was probably poor on my part. I guess the correct play was to raise and fold to a rereaise. Or maybe a call down? But the good news is he showed (bless his heart) his K-Js. 0 for 4. This also brings up an interesting point - Do you ever show your cards when the hand is folded to you? If I was UTG here, I NEVER would have shown my hand.

Tosh
08-21-2003, 10:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]

This also brings up an interesting point - Do you ever show your cards when the hand is folded to you? If I was UTG here, I NEVER would have shown my hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only time I'd show my hand is when I made a semi bluff (or occasionally a total bluff) and I'm sure he folded a better hand. I don't show my winners because I don't want him to feel good about his fold, I want him to think I've bluffed him so next time he calls when he shouldn't have.