PDA

View Full Version : Flopped the nut straight - drawing dead

Tosh
08-21-2003, 06:56 AM
Obviously I can't change the cards that come out but could I have played this better so I lose less money ? Or perhaps I should have lost more money ?

I am UTG +2 with Q /images/graemlins/club.gifT /images/graemlins/club.gif. I limp and 7 see the flop. It comes K /images/graemlins/heart.gifJ /images/graemlins/heart.gif9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif.

Small blind leads out, 1 call and a fold to me. I raise. 2 fold, someone who I know to be a decent player reraises and the button calls all 3 cold (he now only has $1 left). The bettor calls and so do I. Turn is 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif. We check to the bettor who bets. Button goes all in, SB folds and I call. River is J /images/graemlins/club.gif pairing the board. I check he bets and I call.

As I thought bettor had Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. The button has 9 and won with a rivered boat.

Before I get totally slagged I'll explain my plays. I think my flop raise is obvious but I didn't cap because of who raised. I just decided to call him down as opposed to betting the turn because if he raised me then I'd have a difficult decision which could end in disaster. Because the button - who was probably my only other danger hand after cold calling - was so close to being all in, I knew I could showdown for only 2 BBs. I might well have bet the turn and folded to a raise and a call/reraise if he had a bigger stack.

Ok now flame away. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dynasty
08-22-2003, 07:46 PM
These are the hands you root for a 4th heart to come.

Tosh
08-23-2003, 04:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
These are the hands you root for a 4th heart to come.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeh definitely. Unfortunately the only time the 4th of a suit comes is when I hold 67 or something of that suit.