PDA

View Full Version : Hold'em vs. Stud vs. Omaha 8

Huh
08-20-2003, 10:40 PM
Just wondering what people think the pros and cons are of these games. I used to play a good deal of Omaha 8, and despite the massive rake ($5-$10 home game with a rake of $5 plus a $2 jackpot drop), I still found the game to be quite profitable. Now the players were truly horrible, and they mixed in crazy pineapple, which most people didn't know how to deal with. Anyhow, it's a seven or eight months later, and I sat in an O8 game at the borgata, I was out of practice and was definately one of the fish, but the game looked real good, and it made me want to get back into practice.

Now stud, I've only played once or twice, and never really liked the game. Too much paying attention to people's up-cards. Anyhow, I was wondering what people thought was the best EV game out there. I hail from the east, so this is definately stud country, and I imagine there are some good games, but the "explosion" has favored hold'em game greatly, so I just don't know anymore.

thanks,
-Huh

Kurn, son of Mogh
08-21-2003, 08:48 AM
I've always heard that the biggest edge a skilled player can have over unskilled players exists in Stud/8.

Lunamondo
08-21-2003, 11:20 AM
I think one should get the turbo softwares and do study; play and simulations, to get a good picture what is the most profitable form. One should look the type of tables (online) and the limits offered, (and figure how high limits one - you - most likely will be able to beat). Taking all things in to calculations. Then there are the big bet poker versions that one might also take in to consideration.

Rushmore
08-22-2003, 02:27 PM
I have heard the same, and tend to fare very well at this game with what seems to be the smallest fluctuation/suffering quotient.

I think part of the reason for this is because so many people play ANY 3 cards under 9 as starting hands. These "razz hands" (8,5,2, etc) are junk, make a LOT of second-best lows, and have almost no chance at the high.

I don't know why folks play these hands, but they seem to enjoy them.

And who am I to stop anyone from enjoying himself?

Aragorn
08-29-2003, 05:20 PM
I don't think there is an absolute answer. It depends partly on the caliber of players in different games and partly on your style of play and strengths.