PDA

View Full Version : Most Overrated Movies

Bill Murphy
08-20-2003, 09:44 PM
1. Mean Streets
2. Midnight Cowboy
3. Straw Dogs
4. Fat City
5. The Hustler. Yeah, Hustler's pretty good; certainly better than the above four, but I very seriously think that Color Of Money is quite a bit better.

As for underrated, well, how about Death Wish, for starters? Imagine the uproar if it were released today!

Wake up CALL
08-20-2003, 10:15 PM
1. Blair Witch Project

How you can include The Hustler on your list boggles my mind.

Uston
08-20-2003, 10:28 PM
Titanic, A Beautiful Mind, Dances With Wolves, Gremlins II.

BTW, Bill, I recently saw Manhunter for the first time since I was 15. Much, much better than I remember, although the ending is still abysmal.

JTG51
08-20-2003, 11:03 PM
Dances With Wolves was an OK movie but a very good book. Maybe the only assigned book I ever read from start to finish in high school.

JTG51
08-20-2003, 11:08 PM
Yeah, Hustler's pretty good; certainly better than the above four, but I very seriously think that Color Of Money is quite a bit better.

I think most people agree with you, I liked The Hustler more though. Definitely one of my all time favorites.

Fow what it's worth, if you haven't read the book version of The Color of Money you should try to find a copy. You'll be shocked at both how much different it is than the movie version and at how much better it is. The Hustler on the other hand closely follows the book.

andyfox
08-20-2003, 11:14 PM
Given the number of Oscars it won, Titanic has to be at or near the top. Chicago runs a close second for me.

Ray Zee
08-20-2003, 11:48 PM
andy, titanic sucked and chicago was great. you are at 50%. not good so go back to the end of the line with bill please.

oh wait, or are you saying these are overrated movies. wait then you are still at 50%.

Chris Alger
08-20-2003, 11:58 PM
The largely forgotten Fat City can't be underrated, especially given Susan Tyrell's almost entirely forgotten excellent performance (which won her an acadamy nomination, if I recall).

Most overrated would be the really popular movies that either sucked or came close to it, including Death Wish and Walking Tall. Others are Dr. Zhivago, Grease, The Sound of Music, E.T., Star Wars, and the two greatest racist empics Birth of a Nation and Gone With the Wind.

Boris
08-21-2003, 12:21 AM
no [censored] man. I kept waiting for Blair Witch to get scary. and waiting and waiting and waiting...

Dynasty
08-21-2003, 12:57 AM
The romance in Titanic was cheesy. But, the death of all those innocent people was great. It was a good depiction of very brutal deaths.

JTG51
08-21-2003, 01:44 AM
People died in Titanic? I've never seen it, thanks for ruining the ending for me.

baggins
08-21-2003, 03:50 AM
Titanic
Gladiator
Blair Witch Project (just plain stupid. but i can see how i would have been a bit unnerved if i hadn't heard anything at all regarding the hype, etc.)
SWEI:ThePhantomMenace
Black Hawk Down
Saving Private Ryan
Se7en
Snatch
Dancer in the Dark

slamdunkpro
08-21-2003, 08:22 AM
Three Words: The Crying Game

HDPM
08-21-2003, 10:22 AM
Molly Brown made it tho. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Clarkmeister
08-21-2003, 11:27 AM
Blair Witch got all the hype simply because it was low budget. Hollywood Shuffle experienced the same phenomena.

Clarkmeister
08-21-2003, 11:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, Hustler's pretty good; certainly better than the above four, but I very seriously think that Color Of Money is quite a bit better.

I think most people agree with you, I liked The Hustler more though. Definitely one of my all time favorites.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the Hustler is a much better movie. I highly doubt that most people liked Color of Money more. That, of course, is the problem with "most overrated". What some perceive as overrated, others don't. Regardless, I constantly see Hustler listed on top movie lists and never see Color.

Which is as it should be. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Clarkmeister
08-21-2003, 11:32 AM
"SWEI:ThePhantomMenace"

Here again, the problem with "overrated". I distinctly remember PM getting awful reviews and horrible word of mouth. I don't know anyone who liked it and its widely regarded as the worst of the SW movies by far.

Saving Private Ryan - Is IMO one of the most *underrated* movies of all time. Simply a brilliant picture. If you want overrated from the same timeframe, I'd vote for Thin Red Line.

Clarkmeister
08-21-2003, 11:35 AM
Grease - Not my cup of tea, but I'm not going to argue wtih the huge following that it still has all these years later. Same for The Sound of Music.

E.T. - How could you not like ET. Granted, I haven't seen it since I was a child, but good lord.

Star Wars - Now I'm beginning to suspect there is something wrong with you. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Clarkmeister
08-21-2003, 11:37 AM
My personal favorite for all time overrated movie is Forrest Gump. A good, but certainly not great movie. And its laughable that it got Best Picture over BOTH Shawshank Redemption and Pulp Fiction.

Homer
08-21-2003, 11:43 AM
Forrest Gump and Shawshank Redemption are great movies.

Pulp Fiction is a POS.

JMO

-- Homer

B-Man
08-21-2003, 12:32 PM

B-Man
08-21-2003, 12:43 PM
1. Summer of Sam
2. Blair Witch Project
3. American Beauty (notwithstanding the great Kevin Spacey)

ripdog
08-21-2003, 01:28 PM
While I can see why people wouldn't like this movie, I disagree
that it is over-rated. I'd be willing to bet my house that there are people out there who can relate to each of the sub-plots in this film. Some of the scenes resonated with me. "I will sell this house today!" and Lester Burnham screwing his employer out of $60,000 were priceless. I can personally relate to both of those scenes. Also, notice how much happier Lester becomes after quitting the rat race. Many out there either just can't relate or are in denial that their lives actually resemble this movie so closely.

JTG51
08-21-2003, 01:30 PM
I highly doubt that most people liked Color of Money more.

Maybe I should have said most younger people (which is my age group). Most of my friends prefered The Color of Money because they see more 'action' in that one and thought The Hustler was slow, which of course is totally wrong.

Ulysses
08-21-2003, 02:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Pulp Fiction is a POS.
JMO

[/ QUOTE ]

You're crazy. JMO.

Uston
08-21-2003, 02:10 PM
I was going to respond with "You're a POS!" then decided it might be a little rude.

Ray Zee
08-21-2003, 02:19 PM
since there is so much difference of opinion i will set the record straight.

chicago, death wish,hustler, dr.zhivago,star wars, crying game, shawshank redemption,grease were all great movies.
all other movies mentioned stunk.

Homer
08-21-2003, 02:41 PM
You're crazy. JMO.

Not true. Most people would agree with you.

-- Homer

JTG51
08-21-2003, 02:48 PM
Can I agree with both of you?

You are crazy, and Pulp Fiction stunk.

John Feeney
08-21-2003, 02:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Pulp Fiction is a POS.

[/ QUOTE ]

And you know how Homer feels about PsOS.

Martin Aigner
08-21-2003, 03:20 PM
1) The Sound of Music
2) The Bonfire Of The Vanity

Funny thing about The Sound of Music: I come from Austria, was even raised in Salzburg, where the film was shot. I´ve been about 10 times in the USA, and whenever I was there and mentioned that I came from Austria, someone would tell me he/she knows 3 things about Austria: Vienna, Salzburg, The Sound of Music. But here in Austria nobody I ever talked to had seen this film. Anyway, they showed it a couple of weeks ago in the TV and I watched it. Gotta say: HORRIBLE!

Best regards

Martin Aigner

the mayor
08-21-2003, 05:16 PM
by far the most overrated movie has to be al pacino's "Scarface". that movie sucked giant donkey dick. its just like "Gladiator", all violence no substance, with a way too over the top Pacino performance. its only made famous by rappers and people who havent seen it.

and "Signs" was a mammoth dissapointment . im not gonna even get into the obvious 'water' issue. m. night was REACHING to get all those pointless little things that each character had to tie together, and it didnt work at all.

slamdunkpro
08-21-2003, 05:16 PM
5 Most overrated/overhyped movies (no particular order)
1. Crying Game
2. The Phantom Menance
3. Blair Witch
4. End of Days
5. Dances with Wolves

5 Worst movies ever made

1. Ishtar
2. Water World
3. Crying Game
4. Blair Witch
5. The Postman

Lucifer
08-21-2003, 05:18 PM
I actually liked it. Probably because I had been told that it was stupid and completely un-scary before I saw it, so my expectations were lowered quite a bit. And it wasn't scary. I found it more funny than anything.

Anybody else have someone puke in the theater because of motion sickness?

Lucifer
08-21-2003, 05:21 PM
A way too over the top Pacino performance? There's a switch. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Vehn
08-21-2003, 06:03 PM
I would put Donnie Darko on this list as well, despite it being on the "underated" list. I liked it but was wasted potential IMO - and its constantly raved about as a "cult" movie.

Cyrus
08-21-2003, 06:22 PM
"Mean Streets" is dynamite cinema, archetypal Scorsese. "Midnight Cowboy" you can enjoy as light comedy, don't look for messages, Schlesinger was no postman. "Straw Dogs" an overrated movie, are you kidding here or what?? A bad Peckinpah (say "Osterman's Weekend") is worth ten times a good Spielberg.

"Fat City" is brilliant. If anything, it's underrated John Houston.

I'll let you have "The Hustler" but in my neck of the woods we have never over rated it anyway.

DPCondit
08-21-2003, 06:50 PM
The Hustler rules, Blair Witch was total garbage.

DPCondit
08-21-2003, 06:53 PM
Overrated:
Blair Witch
ET
Crying Game
Pulp Fiction

Donnie Darko was actually pretty good, and Scarface was terrific.

Don

John Cole
08-21-2003, 07:15 PM
Bill,
Wrong as usual. /images/graemlins/grin.gif Caddyshack (ugh!); Rocky (this won Best Picture?); Fellini's Satyricon (an incredible bore); and, my usual gripe, almost anything which stars a Saturday Night Live cast member.

John

Chris Alger
08-22-2003, 03:03 AM
The first time I saw Star Wars I seriously thought it was a pilot for a TV series that got bumped up to the big screen. Later I sort of appreciated the genre melding but could never get over the painful dialogue and the premise of a universe mastered by Baptists. The sic-fi special effects are a lava lamp with sound, and the scenes inside the spacecraft ("fasten your seatbelts, we'll be travelling at a multiple of 186,000 miles/sec") are as silly as the room-sized rocket interiors of 1930's serials. All of which could be forgiven if the later movies, with all those Jedi council gravitas crap, had avoided taking themselves seriously.

Apart from music and dance numbers that justified them on stage, The Sound of Music and Grease are contrived sentimental pap, the second with the additional insult of 30-somethings playing teenagers. ET is a children's movie about a magical stuffed animal made with less imagination than Winnie the Pooh and the Blustery Day.

baggins
08-22-2003, 05:19 AM
The Thin Red Line is about 100000x better than SPR. Speilberg is a chump. TRL is a beautful, artistic, sad story. SPR is a hyper-sensational, over-realistic, neat little feel good story. i hated it. then again, i usually hate war movies. the only 2 i've liked in recent history have been TRL and We Were Soldiers. i didn't expect to like WWS but i ended up liking it very much.

angry young man
08-22-2003, 12:41 PM
Midnight Cowboy is awful. Straw Dogs is mediocre at best. The Hustler is a masterpiece. Color of Money is just pop movie crap. Standard formulaic Tom Cruise film (Cocktail with pool). I like pool so I can enjoy watching it but it was a courtesy Oscar for Newman and it pales in comparison to Hustler. While we're talking overrated we ought to be discussing Color of Money's director. Goodfellas, Raging Bull, and Taxi Driver are the only really special movies he's made, and there's a lot of crap in that list. Good but not great director. Then again Raging Bull is amazing so maybe I'm hedging a bit on that....

angry young man
08-22-2003, 12:44 PM
Don't forget the brilliant Quiz Show was also shafted that year.

angry young man
08-22-2003, 12:45 PM
that POS was the most influential movie of the 90s and on every critic's top ten for the decade ; not to mention hugely popular.

Homer
08-22-2003, 01:18 PM
...and on every critic's top ten for the decade.

I don't get critics. I mean, they think that Citizen Kane is the best move ever? I don't see what they're seeing.

...not to mention hugely popular.

So was Wayne's World. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

-- Homer

Allan
08-22-2003, 01:22 PM
I agree with this. I think all of his movies have been overrated. I am pretty sure he gets his ideas from his kids junior high creative writing assignments.

Allan

angry young man
08-22-2003, 02:33 PM
it's the combination of the two things, critical praise and popularity, that is especially meaningful. Bad movies can make a lot of money (see Adam Sandler's career for examples) and critics can get behind a movie that lacks public appeal but is well made (ala Hoop Dreams) but when you have something that is successful with the populace and is regarded as one of the best movies made in ten years then perhaps you shouldn't snap to the opinion that it's crap just because you didn't like it.

I don't get critics. I mean, they think that Citizen Kane is the best move ever? I don't see what they're seeing.

First off, Citizen Kane is a great movie and responsible for creating many of the camera techniques still used today. Secondly, the "they think it's the best movie ever" is misleading. I doubt 1 in 5 critics would pick it as the best film ever, it's always near the top of those AFI type lists because they ALL (almost) put it very high in their lists so it averages out to have the most, or close to the most, points. They're not some sort of collective mind ("It was very good. It was much better than Cats." <--bonus points for anyone who gets that reference). Finally, saying I don't get critics seems like a pretty big generalization. Not agreeing with one person in particular, sure I can see that, but disregarding them as a group seems a bit closeminded. Most (good ones) have a background in film and/or writing/journalism and both understand movies and how to put a couple of sentences together to explain what they liked and didn't like about a film. It's a usefull resource. Or I guess you could ignore all this and go see "The Core" or something.

-aym, film critic

angry young man
08-22-2003, 02:36 PM
what's impressive about Shayamalan (sp?) isn't his ideas it's his directing technique.

DPCondit
08-22-2003, 03:16 PM
I don't care for his movies, way, way overrated.

Don

baggins
08-22-2003, 03:32 PM
directing technique? explain please?

i was bored to tears by The Sixth Sense. i will hopefully never see Signs. Unbreakable was decent, but... still left a bad taste in my mouth. the comment above about taking his ideas from his jr. high kids' creative writing assignments was so right on. the twists in his stories seem so juvenile. and who didn't see it coming in TheSixthSense? come on.

Homer
08-22-2003, 03:40 PM
Points taken. The only thing I'd like to comment on is:

...but when you have something that is successful with the populace and is regarded as one of the best movies made in ten years then perhaps you shouldn't snap to the opinion that it's crap just because you didn't like it.

Similarly, you shouldn't assume that it isn't crap just because you did like it.

I don't mind if every single person other than me thinks it's genius -- they are perfectly welcome to have a different opinion than me. At the same time, I don't have to concede that something isn't crap just because the majority tells me that it isn't.

-- Homer

DPCondit
08-22-2003, 03:59 PM
Signs was crap, Unbreakable was crap, Sixth Sense was crap, all total utter crap. All ultra-homogenized, unimaginative, predictable and cutesy, overboiled mush.

Don

Homer
08-22-2003, 04:03 PM
FWIW, I liked Sixth Sense and Signs, but did not like Unbreakable.

-- Homer

angry young man
08-22-2003, 04:05 PM
I'm not telling you that you have to like it, lots of people didn't and their feelings about the movie are perfectly valid. there are bad movies that I like (Rat Race) and good movies that I don't (Saving Private Ryan) but even if you don't like Pulp Fiction describing it as a piece of [censored] is pretty dismissive. For example, I don't like "A Clockwork Orange", I love the book and was very disappointed with the movie. Still, I recognize that effort was put into it and it's at least trying to have a message or tell a story that hasn't been told a thousand times before. I just think the execution is flawed, majorly flawed. Still I can tell the difference between that and "Tomcats", which I would definitely define as a piece of sht.

angry young man
08-22-2003, 04:20 PM
so many movies these days confuse suspense and making the audience jump by having a cat knock over a paint can. Using color filters, slow pacing, and silence or quiet repetitive sound effects (instead of a blaring pop soundtrack) M. Night builds up tension very well. Think about the train scene in Unbreakable where he's sitting looking out the window and you hear the rhythmic noises as you wait for the train crash you know is coming, it doesn't get much louder as time goes by and he never hits you with a big bang or people screaming but I think it's very effective (I find it a little exciting and I'm dead inside). Same thing with the fight scene near the end, nothing flashy but when Bruce is flailing around in the water in the darkness with the sound bursting in and out, that's good stuff. He's more subtle than most "suspense" directors and I think it's a refreshing change. Sure his stories are formulaic but at least the feel of the movie is different from most of the trash out there. Don't get me wrong, I don't think he's spectacular (not really my kind of thing) or that Sixth Sense was the best thing ever (as some people seem to) but I appreciate the skills he has.

Homer
08-22-2003, 04:21 PM
Okay, I appreciate what you're saying, and perhaps I was a bit harsh in calling it a POS. There IS a distinction in my mind between Pulp Fiction and (oh, let's see, what truly horrible movies have I seen lately /images/graemlins/smile.gif) Head of State. I can see how someone might enjoy watching Pulp Fiction (even though I didn't), but I can't see how anyone could ever enjoy watching Head of State.

Have a good one...

-- Homer

DPCondit
08-22-2003, 04:22 PM
FWIW, I should add the disclaimer that those are my opinions only, and just because I don't like them doesn't automatically mean they are terrible. I will try to be nicer about how I say things.

Don

Clarkmeister
08-22-2003, 05:51 PM
"The Thin Red Line is about 100000x better than SPR. Speilberg is a chump."

I'm not a Spielberg fan either, and expected to hate Ryan, but unexpectedly loved it. Heck, I don't like Hanks either.

"TRL is a beautful, artistic, sad story. "

It was a very good movie, but not great. Too artsy for me. How many times do we need to see the bird flying overhead? Beating me over the head with symbolism defeats the purpose, no? The best scene was when the two soldiers tried to run up the hill and got shot, then the commander had to try and get more people to make another attempt. Christ, what a nightmare.

SPR is a hyper-sensational, over-realistic, neat little feel good story. "

Over-realistic? Something is either realistic or not. I felt it was completely realistic and that helped drive home the horrors of the war. Setting aside the opening sequence, which stands on its own, I can think of two scenes off the top of my head which were simply haunting.

1. The soldier dying on the hill begging for more morphine and the reaction of his compatriots.
2. The scene near the end where the two soldiers are battling for their lives and the one is helpless as the knife is plunged into his chest, and the 3rd guy can only watch. One of the most powerful scenes I have ever seen in a movie.

I don't know how it was a feel good story either. I left the movie feeling devastated. I still remember the aboslute silence in the theater as the movie ended. Neat ending or no, that last scene with the man and his family at the gravesite of the soldier who saved his life is deeply moving and very powerful stuff. It doesn't get more human than that.

Just my thoughts though. I think its a horribly underrated movie, and its in my personal 10 best list.

Cyrus
08-23-2003, 02:49 AM
"The best scene was when the two soldiers tried to run up the hill and got shot, then the commander had to try and get more people to make another attempt."

Reminds me of the similar scene described in Michael Herr's Dispatches. "Never happen, sir", etc. The officer gets to threaten the soldier some more and then goes up the hill himself, gets creamed.

Of course, some Vietnam vets among the audience surely have it first hand.

Roy Munson
08-23-2003, 08:46 AM
Wayne's World is cinematic genius.

baggins
08-23-2003, 09:16 PM
"Over-realistic? Something is either realistic or not. I felt it was completely realistic and that helped drive home the horrors of the war."

i disagree. i think the attempt for 'realism' in action footage in a movie can be overdone. to the point that the 'realism' becomes gimmick, and not simply a portrayal of the truth. there is a certain point where such 'realism' in a film begins to draw your attention away from the action on screen and to the methods and techniques behind the capturing of the 'realistic' footage. in other words, when cameras do their jobs, i'm fine. when they get ambitious, and try to make things more 'realistic' than a camera should be able to, then it has failed to do it's job, which is to make me experience the movie without thinking about the fact that i'm watching a movie.

of course, this is a personal opinion. my point is that overdoing an attempt at realism can be bad, and i would call that 'over-realistic'.

PokerBabe(aka)
08-23-2003, 10:38 PM
Billy- IMO Midnight Cowboy is one of the best movies Dustin ever did. He was supurb as Ratzo Rizzo. LGPG, Babe

Bill Murphy
08-24-2003, 06:26 PM
..In The Bedroom & Road To Perdition. ITB might be the all-time winner. It's a Steven Seagal movie, fa'crissakes. Oscar got this one right, for a change.

Blair Witch is the most over-hyped movie ever, but it also got a lot of four star reviews, so it was also very overrated. Great trailer, tho. I actually think the first Nightmare On Elm St. is quite underrated. Election is prolly the most unappreciated movie ever, at least by the masses. Studio shoulda re-released it after the first Red, White, & Blonde became a big hit.

Don't get me wrong about The Hustler, very good movie. I just didn't like the girl subplot, and I honestly like Color Of Money quite a bit more.

Bill Murphy
08-24-2003, 06:35 PM
We'll agree to disagree about Color Of Money.

Ya'll forgot about King Of Comedy. Along with the 'big three', that's more than enough to excuse whatever junk Scorsese and De Niro have made. I thought GONY was pretty good, and it was a wise pass by Bobby.

Casino & Flawless were pretty good, but it's basically been a long coast downhill for De Niro since Goodfellas.

Joe Tall
08-24-2003, 06:44 PM
I have one question:

How much did you know about the 'Blair Which Project' before you saw it the first time? As in, how it was filmed, etc.

Joe Tall
08-24-2003, 06:45 PM
Answer me this:

How much did you know about the 'Blair Which Project' before you saw it the first time? As in, how it was filmed, etc.

Mash
08-24-2003, 06:58 PM
I'm surprised nobody has brought up "Twister" yet. That movie was the biggest, most overrated POS that I have ever seen.

Wake up CALL
08-24-2003, 07:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have one question:

[/ QUOTE ]

I understood the history of the young students but perhaps not their motivation. After you have seen Alien in the Charles Theatre in Boston during the world premeir so noone in the audience knew what to expect, it is difficult to be scared at the movies by anything less. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Joe Tall
08-24-2003, 09:42 PM
Well, here's my story.

As you may know Blair Witch played for 2 months at Kendall Sq before it was picked up on the 'mainstream'. My movie junkie friend heard of the movie and I decided to see it.

I sat down without a HINT of a CLUE of what it was about or how it was filmed, NOTHING.

Scared the living $hit outta me.

Unfortunately the film exploded and the format for filming was well known by the time most viewers saw the film and I it just doesn't 'work' after that. I saw it again and I got up and left, it sucked the second time.

The 1st time it sucked me right in, perfectly.

angry young man
08-25-2003, 01:09 PM
overadvertised sure, overbudget definitely, but someone in the world has to like a movie for it to be overrated.

The cow being thrown around in the tornado almost made it worthwhile. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

angry young man
08-25-2003, 01:14 PM
I didn't care for GONY, thought he tried to do too much and the movie's scope got way out of control. I'm a huge fan of Daniel Day Lewis so I was expecting to enjoy it but oh well. I've actually never seen King of Comedy (shame on me) and I was wondering if someone would bring that one up. I like Casino but I thought it was pretty routine work for everyone involved, nothing special. DeNiro has done some other good work since Goodfellas (Jackie Brown, This Boy's Life, Cape Fear, Backdraft, Guilty By Suspicion), just not with Martin.

Al Mirpuri
08-25-2003, 01:31 PM

angry young man
08-25-2003, 01:31 PM
I bought it on tape from a video store that was going out of business for $.99 Virtually everything had been taken but everyone managed to pass Election by. Great country we live in that all the Chuck Norris movies sold long before that gem.

I was disappointed with In The Bedroom too, but what do you mean its a Steven Seagal movie? Perhaps you have him confused with Sissy Spacek, she looks quite mannish sometimes.

Simon Diamond
08-25-2003, 11:50 PM
For me the only saving grace for Blair Witch, is the mediocrity of Blair Witch 2. It went from plain unscary to plain stupidity for me.

The early Jaws films still freak me out a bit - something current horror/gore flicks have a hell of a job doing.

Simon

baggins
08-26-2003, 03:29 AM
sorry, but no way. TBL is such a great movie. it is so funny. you can quote it for hours and be on the floor laughing most of the time!

Long live The Dude...

nicky g
08-26-2003, 07:51 AM
Finally someone who agrees with me! Definitely the most overrated film of all time. David Thewlis, who acted in it, said that for years he'd desperately wanted to appear in a Coen Brothers film, and was hugely disappointed to have appeared in the worst one. Exactly how I feel about it. Wacky, stoned, unfunny nonsense; it's like a teenager wrote it. The only good bit is the bowling alley dream sequence. Coens have done nothing good since Fargo (though i've not seen O Brother). As for an underrated film, I'd nominate another Coen film; The Hudsucker Prozy. Brilliant.

Cyrus
08-26-2003, 03:48 PM
The Big Lebowski is great, he said confusing his taste in movies for universal opinion.

As a matter of fact, he continued nonplussed, every Coen Brothers movies is great, no exceptions. Even their failures are good. (No hack coulda done "The Man Who Wasn't There".)

Bill Murphy
08-26-2003, 10:28 PM
"I was disappointed with In The Bedroom too, but what do you mean its a Steven Seagal movie? Perhaps you have him confused with Sissy Spacek, she looks quite mannish sometimes. "

Son gets killed, courts let him out, so lets get justice ourselves! YAWWWWNNNN.

Clarkmeister
10-14-2003, 02:48 PM
Bump to avoid repeating myself.

Rushmore
10-14-2003, 03:08 PM
How anyone could possibly think The Color of Money is even worthwhile, much less better than The Hustler, is beyond me.

"Shoot pool, Fast Eddie."
"I am shooting pool, Fats. When I'm done, you can shoot."

I'd say that's a little better than Tom Cruise parading around like a macho imbecile, Mary Elizabeth Mastroiantonio
lamely attempting to be sexified, and that miserable, unbelievably hokie Eric Clapton crap playing all throughout.

So, uh, I preferred The Hustler.

Rushmore
10-14-2003, 03:12 PM
Oh. I see. It's the "we've already done this" thread.

Fine. I'll just keep quiet from now on.

Sorry. Don't mind me.

Rushmore
10-14-2003, 03:15 PM
Casino & Flawless were pretty good, but it's basically been a long coast downhill for De Niro since Goodfellas.

I'm sorry. Flawless???!!! Holy crap. Oh my God. Please! No! Sweet Jesus! Don't...I...please! NOOOOOO!!!

I don't much care for that film.

blueboles
10-14-2003, 03:53 PM
How can you hate Caddyshack??
"you take drugs danny?"
"everyday"
"good"

"hey, everyone, we're all gonna get laid"
"hey, wang I think this place is exclusive, so don't tell 'em you're jewish"

Utah
10-14-2003, 04:01 PM
I loved both of them - but I am biased since I wasted a considerable part of my youth shooting pool.

That being said, The Hustler is way better and it is simply one of the greatest movies ever made. The story line is extremely strong and the character development of fast eddie is second to none. The end scene is awesome.

ChipWrecked
10-14-2003, 04:11 PM
If you haven't seen A Midnight Clear I'd recommend it, as an underrated and rarely seen Battle of the Bulge story.

ChipWrecked
10-14-2003, 04:17 PM
Casablanca.

I'm not saying it's a bad movie. Just highly overrated.

So shoot me.

Utah
10-14-2003, 04:19 PM
Okay - what was the point of SPR? Maybe I missed it. Where was the character development? I missed that too.

Speilberg's whole premise seemed to be, "war is hell and I am going to show you this by making things as graphic as possible. Story line?, character development?, deeper meaning? Screw it!". I like Speilberg, but this movie sucked big time.

Rushmore
10-14-2003, 05:24 PM
I honestly believe that anyone who doesn't think Caddyshack is funny doesn't have a sense of humor.

TimTimSalabim
10-14-2003, 05:30 PM
This thread cannot be stopped by any means, not by the "we've already done this" bump or any other. It's too powerful... I can't... resist... so... here goes....

Terminator 2. Thought it was way overrated when it first came out in the theatre, and didn't get any better when I watched it again recently on DVD.

blueboles
10-14-2003, 07:08 PM
Exactly! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Clarkmeister
10-14-2003, 07:16 PM
"Oh. I see. It's the "we've already done this" thread.

Fine. I'll just keep quiet from now on.

Sorry. Don't mind me"

nonononono-No. I just bumped it to avoid typing what I had already typed before, and also to save time and further the discussion. By no means was I trying to halt the conversation, actually I was trying to facillitate it.

Rushmore
10-14-2003, 07:39 PM
Funny thing: I thought it was really good when I first saw it, but I saw it the other night, and it's really just goofy.

What was it..."No Destiny," "No Fate?" What? Ooooh. Sounds like a Scorpions album.

Voice over: "The machine would never get drunk and beat him, etc..." blah blah blah

Is this sci-fi or sci-fried Green Tomatoes?!

Ok, that was bad.