PDA

View Full Version : Should I have value bet the end? Should I have folded on the flop?

Huh
08-20-2003, 09:29 PM
$3/$6 online, game is incredibly loose-aggressive.

I pick up
Q /images/graemlins/club.gifQ /images/graemlins/heart.gif in late position.

four folds, than a call, a check(from a poster), Only the caller calls ( I /images/graemlins/heart.gif dead $$$$).

Flop is miserable

A /images/graemlins/club.gif2 /images/graemlins/club.gif2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Opp bets, I call.

Turn is 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
Opp bets, I call.

River is an offsuit Jack.

We both check.

Comments on all streets appreciated. I knew nothing about this particular opponent, except the game in general has been pretty crazy lately.

-Huh /images/graemlins/confused.gif

DarkKnight
08-20-2003, 09:35 PM
Against typical opps...

I raise the flop and fold to a reraise.
This should let you see where you stand.

If you're bet into on the turn I'd again consider
a fold. Check behind a check and call the
inevitable river bet.

Tosh
08-20-2003, 09:44 PM
I'd raise this flop and if he reraised I think I'd abandon it there. I'd hope he checked to me on the turn and if I hadn't hit a queen I'd check too. If he bet into me still I would give it up also. I would call a bet on the river and bet if he checked to me again - which is very unlikely.

Vehn
08-20-2003, 09:53 PM
It generally doesn't matter how you play it, but I would usually show it down. The way you played it, in LL games there's a moderate chance he checked an ace on the river - if you move to lid/mid limits there's almost no chance and you have a clear value bet.

Huh
08-21-2003, 12:02 PM
My opponent had J9, or Jack-Sh**, depending on how you look at it. Anyhow, for some reason I was determined to call it down. The game was very aggressive and people were making all types of moves all night.

-Huh

DrSavage
08-21-2003, 01:32 PM
raise the flop, fold to reraise and bet on turn. if you raise and you both check the turn, call the river bet.

J.R.
08-21-2003, 02:08 PM
If you know your opponent is aggressive and capable of multiple street bluffs, rope a dope him with a decent hand that has showdown value (especially with 2.5 small bets of dead mney pre-rake in the pot), as a raise only stops them from bluffing or gets you 3-bet. Just make sure a bet goes in on each street, with the possible exception of the river, where your opponent may decide to stop bluffing and won't call a bet when behind, but may check with a weak ace fearing you raised pre-flop with a big ace intending to call a bet on the river.

Typically, the argument for raising the flop has more relevance if you think your opponent will fold a weak ace, as a K is the only overcard that can hurt you, so there is little need to protect your hand if you are ahead with QQ here and should be content to let you opponent bluff away his money. The presence of the spades does give you more reason to fear being drawn out on, but also gives you more reason to believe you may be ahead, as your opponent could be semi-bluffing a flush draw.

In this particular situation, raising the flop to charge the possible flush draw has merit (unless your opponent is capable of 3-bet a pair and a flush draw heads up (or even a flush draw), putting you in sticky spot where the Q /images/graemlins/club.gif in your hand makes a call more correct). I would often fold to a flop 3-bet (if against an aggressive type it might be better to just call the flop bet), bet the turn if checked to and check it through on the river. One problem is that your opponent's call of your flop raise does not define his hand (the could have could be an Ace or a flush draw), but if bet into on the turn on a flush card I call, having picked up a draw, (but fold to a bet after my flop raise when bet into on a non-flush card), and the flop raise/turn bet/river check gets you to a showdown for 2 big bets post flop, as opposed to 2.5.

If I just called on the flop, if the club turns and I am bet into, I raise and check it through unless a club comes on the river.

Against a passive opponent, fold the flop.

Sorry for the convulted ramblings, work was slow when I started this but is now demanding my immediate attention, as is obvious when you read this. There's a point somewhere.