PDA

View Full Version : How much of a wimp was I in this hand? (flop middle set, flush draw)

thwang99
08-20-2003, 06:35 PM
2/4 hold'em, I get 99 in EP and limp after one limper, 6 to flop of K39 with two diamonds.

Someone bets, I call with the intention of raising the turn and to get everyone else in. Everyone else folds /images/graemlins/frown.gif.

Turn comes Td! Same person bets, now I just call.

River 8s. I just call. Since I didn't raise the flop, should I have raised the turn? The flush draw did come!

- Tony

thwang99
08-20-2003, 06:36 PM
He had 33 for the underset! Missed out on a ton of bets.

Tosh
08-20-2003, 07:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
2/4 hold'em, I get 99 in EP and limp after one limper, 6 to flop of K39 with two diamonds.

Someone bets, I call with the intention of raising the turn and to get everyone else in. Everyone else folds /images/graemlins/frown.gif.

Turn comes Td! Same person bets, now I just call.

River 8s. I just call. Since I didn't raise the flop, should I have raised the turn? The flush draw did come!

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate the flop call. Sometimes its good for deception with top set or when heads up but I just don't want to miss bets from someone who is:

a) betting a flush draw
b) betting a lower set
c) betting 2 pair
d) betting an overpair

You have all those hands beaten but they will give you plenty of action. If they reraise you then call and raise the turn, then if you get reraised again you would probably call them down if they were quite predictable. Whilst waiting to the turn to raise may sometimes gain you an extra bet, not raising the flop could well leave you in the dark. Like in this example, if you raised and he reraised against most opponents in these games you can be sure he's not got a flush draw and so the flush card wouldn't look so scary.

Anyway for this hand after you called the flop you certainly should have raised the turn and river.

lil'
08-20-2003, 08:02 PM
I don't think calling the flop and raising the turn is that bad. Ideally I would call and have someone raise the flop behind me, then 3 bet everyone. At least that's what I would want.

Anyway, yes, you already know you wimped out on the turn and river. You missed out on several BB. Just because there are 3 of one suit does not automatically mean there is a flush. This is even more true when there is only one opponent.