PDA

View Full Version : What do the fish have?

jace
08-20-2003, 03:52 PM
I was playing in full 9-handed 6-12 game yesterday while waiting for the 15-30 at Artichoke Joe's. I sit down and quickly observe that there are 7 big-time fish at this table. The only other half-decent player is sitting on my left. They are obviously oblivous to my table image as I've been folding almost every hand and playing very tight. On my first hand, my Ad9d went down in flames to a 4s9s when the flop came 4 9 3 rainbow. I won my next real hand with JJ that I played rather weakly. Here is the big hand of the night.

I'm UTG and open raise with AdQd. UTG+1 (the only other decent player folds). I get called by 5 others (which isn't a surprise on this table). The flop comes:

As Ah 7c

Wow, what at great flop! SB and BB check to me and I quickly fire out a bet. I'm only called by a MP and the BB. They're both idiots. The turn:

As Ah 7c (7d)

Damn it! I didn't want to see that...now I think I'm going to chop this hand. SB checks, I quickly fire out a bet, and both call pretty quickly. The river:

As Ah 7c 7d (4h)

SB checks, I fire out again, MP quickly calls, and SB calls after some hesitation. What do you think these morons had?

jace
08-20-2003, 03:56 PM
The MP had TT (two pair tens and aces) and the SB had T7o (for the smaller full house). I couldn't believe it! The flop was AA7 rainbow for crying out loud...what on earth could they call with? Most good players who know me would have folded to my flop bet unless they had an ace. I gained at least 3-4 more BB if it wasn't for their bad play. Anyways, I was eventually called for the 15-30, but I declined and continued to beat up on these guys for another hour before I left.

Mike Gallo
08-20-2003, 04:02 PM
Jace,

I sit down and quickly observe that there are 7 big-time fish at this table.

Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

What should we learn from this post? That people like to gamble it up, or that you enjoy putting down inferior players?

What do you think these morons had?

How about, what do you think my opponents had?

Michael

Ulysses
08-20-2003, 04:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I sit down and quickly observe that there are 7 big-time fish at this table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Were these players you were familiar with? If not, how quickly? You were probably right about your assessment (it wouldn't surprise me in that 6-12 game), but unless you know the players, it can sometimes be pretty tricky figuring out which players are truly bad and which ones are just aggressive players who understand this game and their opponents and are aggressively pumping their multi-way draws and correctly calling down w/ hands worse than TPTK.

As for what they had, I could see you getting called (and overcalled) by three hands here: a 7, a medium pocket pair, or a King.

jace
08-20-2003, 05:29 PM
Hey MG,

Sorry, didn't mean to sound like I was being a total jerk by putting down these players and labeling them as "morons". I guess I just got so excited seeing their loose calling requirements and chasing with really bad odds. Maybe "loose fish" would be more appropriate (or opponents as you mentioned). But they did seem rather clueless...LOL!

jace
08-20-2003, 05:35 PM
I didn't really know the players from past experiences (haven't been playing for awhile), but I was definitely observing this table while I was waiting to play. They definitely weren't playing very aggressive or tricky. In fact, they were very loose and passive...calling with any ace, any two suited cards, even some real garbage like 36o. But they were all having a good time and that's a good sign (I think). Most of them were pretty bad, and then there were a few who were REALLY bad. But they were having fun and I laughed and joked with them during the session...trying to fit in while beating them.

anatta
08-20-2003, 05:56 PM
Yesterday, when I was stuck $400, I was playing with a group of friggin' morons, then when I got to even, they were simply loose-passive opponents. When I left up a few racks, they actually turned out to be a fun and interesting bunch of guys.