PDA

View Full Version : Theories For Strandings

08-02-2002, 05:11 PM
I have read and heard many lectures on this subject. One of the theories I like best is the fact that the Dolphins, Whales, Turtles and others are heading south when getting caught in the elbow of Cape Cod. There normal mode of escape is to head east towards the open ocean. Upon heading east and seeing more land disorientates the whales into a sort of circular tidepool frenzy which leads to more disorientation. The beaching of the Pilot whales first at the elbow and then at Wellfleet heading East the next day sort of supports this theory somewhat. There migration's normal course is south, so to head north I believe is not there course to take unless luck takes them that way. The handling and care of stranded animals in the future will look back at this episode and learn greatly for future safety of these animals that involve cases similar to this one. IMO.

The theory of follow the leader into the beach even though the leader may be sick is another one. There are many others and pipe in one and all.

Paul

08-02-2002, 05:24 PM

08-02-2002, 05:27 PM
Is there any record of a land-based migratory creature becoming confused, and walking into the sea?

There is no natural reason for a whale to ever beach itself in the normal course of life, right?

Perhaps the dumb thing thinks it's a mammal.

eLROY

08-02-2002, 08:44 PM
they strand all around the world and on beaches that are straight for hundreds of miles. maybe they are like the military pilots that follow the leader right into the sea when he makes a mistake.

possibly some environmental thing or a tainted food supply. another possible thing that may explain some of the stranding is the sonar from boats which certainly can effect whales.

or maybe it has to do with the crop circles:)

08-03-2002, 01:21 AM
navy has new low freq sonar that is known to harm whales, etc.

08-03-2002, 01:44 AM
Yes and it operates on the same frequency that whales do. Stranded whales have recently been found with internal bleeding around the ears and damaged inner ears consistent with overexposure to high decibel noise (and this type of sonar is loud and travels far). We'll soon probably know for sure but that's my bet. Of course there are other reasons--whales will get stranded anyway-- but I strongly suspect this special sonar is screwing them up around the world.

08-03-2002, 02:35 PM