PDA

View Full Version : Interesting SnG NLHE situation

SoCalPat
08-20-2003, 03:03 PM
It's the first hand, $10+$1 at Paradise.

I'm in MP with 88, and the player before me goes all-in. This is a move that reeks of equal parts desperation and stupidity, and I've seen many Paradise "players" try and establish an "intimidating" mode up front, but I think this move is total BS.

Still, do you commit yourself to everything with 88?

I'll post the results later.

Copernicus
08-20-2003, 03:12 PM
Before scrolling down to the results....

What makes his play a stupid move is that a strong hand is likely to pick up only the blinds, and a weak hand risks getting knocked out early, again with only blinds to gain.

Why turn his stupid move into a smart one by calling him with a hand that is at best a coin flip and may be dominated in the "strong hand" scenario? the only hands that should think about calling (IMO) are AA, KK and maybe AKs, and I'd think twice with anything but AA.

Let the late position players take the risk if they can.

eMarkM
08-20-2003, 03:17 PM
LOL, I love it when these guys open raise all-in on the first round to win $15. Despite the fact he's probably doing this with nothing and thinks he's a big macho bluffer, you're proper move is to fold. He could have any card higher than 8 and hit it on the flop and you're gone. He could have T9o and you're only a slight favorite to even that POS. The best you can hope for is an underpair to yours. Of course, he could also have an overpair that beats you, too.

There's no need to risk all your chips at this stage on what may be at best a coin flop for you. Mr All-in will inevitably bust out, or bust someone else out with his reckless betting. Let the others take the gambles early on as they bust each other out over $15 in blinds, while you move up closer to the money with tight, prudent play. Save the gambling for the later rounds when it gets shorthanded and the blinds are larger and more meaningful.

AndysDaddy
08-20-2003, 03:29 PM
As others have already said, this is an easy, easy fold. The question becomes much more interesting (as has been discussed here many times) if you are holding AA or KK. I won't debate the matter now - plenty of other threads to look at for that. I'll just say I'd call with AA. Not as sure about KK - Hopefully I'll have played against the maniac before to have a better read. If I'm blind, though I probably weep and fold.

SoCalPat
08-20-2003, 05:42 PM
So far, every point has been valid.

That said, I pushed all-in. I was positive I had a better hand, and my belief was vindicated as he turned up Q4o. He didn't improve, and I doubled up.

Results aside, as it's been pointed out, moving in at this point was wrong. Not because I was "gambling" with 88, but my position for this type of move, frankly speaking, stunk. I know Mr. All-In doesn't have KK, but there are 5 players to act that could. In trying to determine if Mr. All-In was full of it, taking into account the actions of the rest of the table didn't cross my mind. That's a huge mistake in NLHE, one fortunately, I didn't have to pay for.

If I were ever put in a similar situation, and I was positive the all-in bettor was on the sly, I'd have to be no worse than on the button to go all-in again. But, if I truly believe I'm the better player, why push the issue?

Doubling up, however, was a boon. First, calling and beating Mr. All-In's bluff gave me instant respect, and coupled with some good holdings, I steamrolled that table, only briefly falling out of the chip lead.

And I have to think maybe my first play set up my final play ... holding an 8.5-1.5 chip lead, I get KK in the SB and merely completed, hoping to induce an over-the-top bet. BB goes all in, I flash the cowboys, he turns up Q9s, and I get my first win in a while after a dizzying spell of seconds and thirds.

Prickly Pete
08-21-2003, 11:53 AM
I think the previous posters would agree that you should dump 88 even on the button. Not worth the risk.

Prickly Pete
08-21-2003, 11:56 AM
While I'd certainly dump 88 in this situation, I'd never fold KK. I'd think about AK.

This is a $10 SNG, not the WSOP.