PDA

View Full Version : Call or fold on button?

Spartacus
08-20-2003, 02:49 PM
I am in a $5 rebuy tourney on Ultimate Bet. There are 120+ players and we are still in rebuy period. I have rebought once and don't want to again nor add on. I have about 7500 in chips which makes me leader at my table and in top ten overall.

I am on the button with QQ. The blinds are 30-60 and the player UTG +2 raises to 120 with two limpers calling. I bet the pot, making it 510 to go. SB calls and original raiser and limpers call too. The pot now contains about 2700 and the flop comes K T 6 rainbow. SB goes all in for 2400 then all fold to me. What's my play? I know very little about SB as I have just recently moved to this table.

If you say that I should have reraised more preflop, how much and why? Don't I want action with QQ?

trillig
08-20-2003, 02:55 PM
I'd fold at that point to preserve my stack for another hand...

I'd put SB on AA or AK or Kx and respect fold, notice how everyone else did...

QQ is tough, you'd probably be in same spot with SB if you had bet a load to begin with.... if he had AA/AK.

-t

Kurn, son of Mogh
08-20-2003, 03:34 PM
It cost the SB a lot more chips to call preflop than the limpers and now he bets into the preflop reraiser and two others who called? That's one hell of a play if you don't have top pair beat. You have enough chips to fold here and still be able to play aggressively.

If you say that I should have reraised more preflop, how much and why? Don't I want action with QQ?

You got action on this hand. See where it got you? As it was your raise wasn't that bad. I would've made it more like 700, though.

slamdunkpro
08-20-2003, 05:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
SB goes all in for 2400 then all fold to me. What's my play? I know very little about SB as I have just recently moved to this table.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd fold and live to play another day. Infact I'd put SB on pocket 10's

Al_Capone_Junior
08-20-2003, 05:21 PM
"If you say that I should have reraised more preflop, how much and why? Don't I want action with QQ? "

As much $$ as was in there pre-flop, NO, you don't want action with your QQ. You're only likely to get action after that size raise from hands that either beat you or make you real nervous.

I must say though I can't find a whole lot of fault with how you played it pre-flop tho. I suppose you could have raised more, but you did raise about 4x the previous raise, which was 8x the BB. I tend to make very large reraises if I'm going to do that with QQ, because it's so vulnerable you just don't really want callers; it's better to just take it right there.

On the flop, you're screwed. Fold. the SB didn't bet with a hand that can't beat QQ.

al

Al_Capone_Junior
08-20-2003, 05:26 PM
As a rule, I respect Kurn's opinions. After all, he's a Trekkie.

To reiterate, you really don't want action with QQ after that much $$ is in the pot.

Kurn is right, a bigger raise would be "prudent." Often, (depend on the exact stack sizes), I'd go all-in, hoping NOT to get called.

al