PDA

View Full Version : Bonds Shift

David Steele
08-20-2003, 11:55 AM
A lot of teams put on a huge shift on when Bonds is at bat, with the third baseman almost behind second and the left side of the infield vacated.

Shouldn't bonds bunt it down towards third every once in awhile? It would be an easy bunt as he wouldn't even after worry that it goes too far and can thus get it past the pitcher with confidence.

It would have to be pretty close to an automatic single to be worth giving up the the extra base chance. I am thinking he should do it with the bases empty and nobody out.

D.

AndysDaddy
08-20-2003, 12:29 PM
I would think most teams are hoping he would do exactly that - Its no worse than an IBB, and he might bunt-foul himself into a two-strike count. Just my two cents.

andyfox
08-20-2003, 01:40 PM
We're seeing what used to be called the Williams Shift (Lou Boudreau put it into effect for Ted Williams when he was managing the Indians) a lot more now than ever. Most teams use it for Giambi too. (In fact, that's how Jeter got his shouldre dislocated: there was no third baseman when he went from first to third on a ground ball and the catcher had to cover third, lunging to try to tag Jeter.)

Williams never bunted, nor does Giambi, but never had/has any footspeed at all; Bonds still runs pretty well, but I still don't think it's an automatic single since he probably hasn't bunted in a long time.