PDA

View Full Version : Mini-betting

allenciox
08-20-2003, 11:33 AM
I am still very new to poker in general, and to tournament HE in general, but I have done pretty decently on the Sit-n-goes on Party.

One thing I used to do, however, was to bet out with second pair if I might call a mid-size bet anyway, so that I could keep initiative (for example, if I am dealt ATo, the flop comes QTx rainbow). This sometimes won me the pot straight out, but also meant I lost a lot when someone would raise over the top.

More recently, I have discovered that I can check, and then if someone bets the pot feel comfortable folding the hand, but raise big if someone mini-bets (i.e. bets much less than the pot). I have tried that several times now with success. It seems that often people will mini-bet with bottom pair or second pair with bad kicker, or even a draw --- but will never mini-bet with top pair.

What I fear (but hasn't happened in the short time I have tried this) is that people may also mini-bet if they have a very strong hand (e.g. a set), as an alternative to a complete slow-play. Could those of you with more experience illumine me?

Thanks!