PDA

View Full Version : folded KK for a open straight bluff

DocHollyday
08-20-2003, 05:16 AM
I was playing 10-20$ hold'em limit, four off the BB and limped in with KK. There were for players in, including small blind, the under the gun player and one player after me. The flop was 8,2,3 the small blind bets, all players pay (I did not raise). Turn is a 4, now no one bets up to me, I bet 20$ all players call, then the river delivers a 5 for a board, 8,2,3,4,5 (rainbow), the small blind checks, the under the gun player folds free, I check and the last player bets. SB calls and I fold. Pot was about 200$. Instead of showing of a straight, the SB gets it with a pair of eights. Me ripping of my hair, if it wasn't that short am myself asking now, was my play that wrong??

Ulysses
08-20-2003, 05:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I was playing 10-20$ hold'em limit, four off the BB and limped in with KK. There were for players in, including small blind, the under the gun player and one player after me.

[/ QUOTE ]
Uh, this seems like a good place to raise. I assume big blind is in as well.

[ QUOTE ]
The flop was 8,2,3 the small blind bets, all players pay (I did not raise).

[/ QUOTE ]
OK, there's a bet and a call or two to you. You have a completely hidden monstrous overpair. How about a raise?

[ QUOTE ]
Turn is a 4, now no one bets up to me, I bet 20$ all players call,

[/ QUOTE ]
At least you finally bet.

[ QUOTE ]
then the river delivers a 5 for a board, 8,2,3,4,5 (rainbow), the small blind checks, the under the gun player folds free, I check and the last player bets.

[/ QUOTE ]
If there's a board to bluff when you're the last player and it's checked to you, this is it....

[ QUOTE ]
SB calls and I fold. Pot was about 200$. Instead of showing of a straight, the SB gets it with a pair of eights. Me ripping of my hair, if it wasn't that short am myself asking now, was my play that wrong??

[/ QUOTE ]
...and everyone should know that, so small blind is definitely correct calling here w/ any pair. I'd bet this river, but if I didn't, I'd definitely call. What makes you assume that someone has a straight? And why do you assume SB has a straight when he checks and calls?

DocHollyday
08-20-2003, 06:05 AM
Well, thanks for your reply. I guess I still got lots to learn about hold'em. Sure the bluff was set perfectly for the last player. I was thinking the SB probably had the small straight and the last player hit his gutshot. Anyways, I agree that I should have paid with those pot-odds.

I guess I should play way more agressive.

elysium
08-20-2003, 08:13 AM
hi doc
read hfap and top.