PDA

View Full Version : Unnecessary Tyranny.

Zeno
08-19-2003, 11:42 PM
One should respect public opinion in so far as is necessary to avoid starvation and to keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyranny, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways.

-Bertrand Russell: The Conquest of Happiness, 1930.

Was Bertie boy a bit of a misanthrope? or just a free thinker?

Terry
08-20-2003, 01:23 AM
I'd say his "Why I Am Not a Christian" indicates that free thinker is the right category.

brad
08-20-2003, 03:55 AM
Bertrand Russell- an ivory tower intellectual in favor of eugenics, etc.

if u like british aristocracy youd love him --- barf

Ragnar
08-20-2003, 08:00 AM
Zeno,

Russell was both a misanthrope and a free thinker. If there is unnecessary tyranny what in the world is "necessary tyranny?"

Ragnar

HDPM
08-20-2003, 10:29 AM
In that era (about 1930 or so) many intellectuals had favorable ideas of eugenics. I have even heard that college professors encouraged their students to breed to make sure there were "good" kids born. Eugenics kinda fell out of favor after the 1937-1945 era tho. I am by no means saying it was right, but it was a commonly held thing outside of Hitler's circles.

P.S. Let's not forget the sterilization laws.

Zeno
08-20-2003, 12:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Russell was both a misanthrope and a free thinker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ragnar,

I think your assessment is accurate. I have suspected the same for a while. I've read a fair number of his essays from various books. He was a very lucid writer and most of his material is enjoyable to read.

[ QUOTE ]
what in the world is "necessary tyranny?"

[/ QUOTE ]

The necessary tyranny to be able to live in an organized society. But is that really "tyranny"? It may be for some people, as it impinges too much on their ability to act, and to think and express themselves freely. Remains me a little of Mark Twain’s famous essay called “Corn-Pone Opinions”. Well worth reading. But I’m off on a mini-vacation so have to abandon this thread.

-Zeno, The Misanthrope.

brad
08-20-2003, 03:07 PM
well margaret singer (sanger , hey my memeory aint perfect) gave awards to hitler and got from hitler. she headed a eugenics foundation in america that after eugenics got a bad name change to planned parenthood.

that governor of some state (penn.?) just apologized for the forced sterilations that took place up until like 1982 or some ridiculous date.

as for b.r., he was a total elitist, i mean literally like nobility. those people look on regular guys like animals.

Robbe
08-20-2003, 06:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
... If there is unnecessary tyranny what in the world is "necessary tyranny?"

Ragnar

[/ QUOTE ]

Check out NYC, immediately after 9/11/2001. Sometimes a necessary tyrant is a good thing. (Apologies to Calvin Trillan.)