PDA

View Full Version : Information for Ed I

08-02-2002, 01:38 AM
A long time ago you asked about Idaho's fish and game director being run out. There was an article in todays paper with some info. I tried to get a link to the online edition of our paper, but the story wasn't in the online edition. The gist of it was he had an agreement to leave with the F&G Commission with secrecy clauses. He is mad because they've been violating it and went to the Governor to stop it. The gist of what the paper said is that because he was willing to prosecute ranchers for killing predators and was willing to breach dams contrary to the Governor's position, he was forced out or whatever. Sounds about right. If future stories have links, I'll try to provide them.

08-02-2002, 12:37 PM
Thanks. How do we get to the point where good science is the primary driving force?

Spent a few hrs on the banks of the Henrey's Fork a week ago. Hallowed water. I wish ag interests would quit dictating the flow regime.

08-02-2002, 01:05 PM
How do we get to the point where good science is the primary driving force?

Simple but not easy. Make it so good science is politically prudent. Ag interests are going to control in Idaho for the forseeable future.

08-02-2002, 07:47 PM
Ag interests built a dam and screwed up the flows on Putah Creek, the only W-E flowing water in northern california to hold trout (today, at least). Native fish included steelhead and salmon, pre-dam fish included the best smallmouth fishery close to SF (even better than the Russian River, some old timers say). Today, it's a five mile section of put and take trout water (with some good FFing for holdovers, I have to admit) followed by a ten or so mile section of stagnant bayou like bass water that disappears rather than connecting to the Sac. Sad, really, because, when you see the alterations that were made to the natural flow, you realize that it's almost impossible to reverse. You may be able to restore flows, but the extinct fish stocks will not come back, and putting in Klamath or American strain fish won't be the same.

All in the name of Tomatos and Corn.