PDA

View Full Version : Most Underrated Westerns

Bill Murphy
08-19-2003, 07:01 PM
1. The Long Riders - I begged, fuggin' begged the new artsy-indy theatre here in SLC to show TLR on the big screen. And when. the. FVCK. Are we getting an expanded, restored, remastered, letterboxed DVD of this?

2. Slap me if you want, but I actually think BC&TSK doesn't get enough credit as a *western*. True, its universally considered a great movie, but IMO more as a Newman, Redford, or buddy movie. But, I could be high. You really do need to see it again on the big screen, if you ever get the chance. Needs a deluxe DVD treatment.

KJS
08-19-2003, 11:46 PM
The Wild Bunch
and Pat Garret and Billy the Kid

Both by Sam Peckinpah

Not sure if these are underrated or not, but both are standouts in the genre.

KJS

Graham
08-20-2003, 03:55 PM
Outlaw Josey Wales. I know it's already well rated, but it's got some great lines (eg "don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining"). Guess I've just recently been building my eastwood dvd collection, so I'm currently biased.

And you should really watch it and drink every time he spits tobacco. Then you'd really appreciate it's greatness...hic!

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bill Murphy
08-20-2003, 09:22 PM
Pretty tough to call Wild Bunch underrated.... /images/graemlins/wink.gif

TJSWAN
08-21-2003, 12:02 PM
When Clint spits on the snake oil salesman's suit and asks him [ QUOTE ]
How does it work on stains?

[/ QUOTE ]

Tim

John Cole
08-21-2003, 07:45 PM
Two very underrated westerns, one of which is probably more aptly termed a modern day western. First, Bad Day at Black Rock, which stars Spencer Tracy, and the second is Sergeant Rutledge. Along with The Searchers, these films are serious looks at American racism.