PDA

View Full Version : Open Range - Greatest Movie Ever

Bill Murphy
08-19-2003, 06:44 PM
After paying to see the cookie-cutout, sadly derivative & unoriginal Pirates of the Caribbean, featuring another in a long series of ho-hum, mailed in performances by Johnny Depp, I proudly snuck in to Open Range with my head held high.

I mean, come on, this is movie making right here. Adventure, romance, faithful dog, OR's got it all. The Great Kevin Costner had already defined the baseball, apocalypse, ghost, and Elvis movies previously; now he re-emphasizes his dominance of the western.

No point in spoiling any of it for the many of you who are doubtless waiting until the Labor Day weekend to see it(and thanks, I appreciated having my choice of seats on opening night), but just as a teaser, you won't see chemistry like that btwn TGKC & Annette Bening in OR up on screen very often. If I were Warren Beatty I'd be a little concerned! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Yep, forget all about Young Guns II and all your other so-called classic westerns. TGKC has done it again. Not even Strother Martin could've made Open Range any better. I smell Oscar! Can't wait to see what TGKC does with a pirate movie.

Johnny Depp, Shmohnny Depp. Guy peaked getting ate by a bed in Nightmare On Elm Street.

/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Ray Zee
08-19-2003, 07:05 PM
i aint seen it yet pardner. an i aint goona to. you are the lone pole on the mountain top, as no one else has liked it.
unless it gets better reviews from others, your siskel and ebert rating goes down.

TimTimSalabim
08-19-2003, 07:49 PM
Ebert liked it a lot as I recall. Siskel has been strangely quiet about it though.

Ray Zee
08-19-2003, 11:15 PM
no, no, siskel just turned over

adios
08-20-2003, 12:24 AM
I liked Open Range myself for several reasons. First of all I thought the plot was good as it had a Western type theme. Second I thought Robert Duval did a very good job. Costner was ok IMO. My wife told me that the part about having the bad guys drop there pants is right out of a Louis L'Amour book. Anyway not my all time favorite movie but I was entertained.