PDA

View Full Version : Directory Suggestion

08-01-2002, 07:14 PM
Since a previous post made a suggestion about revising the left side scroll area, how about this.

Create a menu with a SUMMARIZED list of items on the left side without a scroll bar, similar to the existing style. If a summary item is clicked and held, a sub menu would appear and extend out to the right for further selection from a sub menu of topics.

IMO a summarized menu would present a more complete picture of the total site.

Also, I find it easier in other sites to make selections without scrolling. If the summary is well constructed, a person clicks and holds and drags and moves, and release when a selection is finally made.

If you do consider creating a summarized menu, the 1st item listed on top could be SITE MAP. If it is selected, the right would re-display all summarized sites and to the right of each all further subs, with a scroll bar on the right if needed to move down for further viewing. This would show everything. Consider also allowing a selection from this display to any forum.

Make a display difference between how a summary item appears and an actual topic forum. Such as a summary item in black (it is really not a forum) and a real forum in blue, as today.

While I'm at it.

Whenever a topic forum is selected, it would be helpful to lable it consistent with the menu title. For example, if I currently pick Other Topics today, the screen shows Gambling Exchange, Message Index. Shouldn't it say Other Topics! (Message Index to me is redundant).

I like the idea of Movies, Sports, etc as separate topics. Also, I too am growing tired the terrorism, Jews, Palestinians, on and on, etc. Just have a topic for that: America and the World

Hey, I love this forum.

Just suggestions.

08-02-2002, 01:09 AM
These are good ideas. We have to get together with Chuck and try to get everything sorted out.

In the meantime, this Forum has become what we had intended the News, Views and Gossip forum to be. So while we are deciding if and how we will organize all these topics not related to poker, I suggest that those who are weary of the politics, start posting on that forum. It is rarely used these days. It might serve well as a temporary solution.

08-02-2002, 03:36 AM
this Forum has become what we had intended the News, Views and Gossip forum to be.

I believe the Poker News, Views, and Gossip Forum was always intended to have poker-only content in it. I definately don't want to see the political discussions move there where there is plenty of good poker topics (except when they accidentally get deleted by the moderator /images/smile.gif ).

Here's Mason's inital welcoming message from News, Views, and Gossip.

Here's our new forum. It's purpose is to discuss news and opinions that pertain to poker. For example, recently there were some posts on one of our forums comparing the two big cardrooms in Atlantic City. This would be the place for these kinds of posts now. Another example, is that this would be the place to discuss (in a rational manner) your view of cheating in poker rooms. Opinions vary widely on this topic. I'll kick off this forume with an opinion post on a related topic.

Best wishes,

Mason

08-02-2002, 04:34 AM
Obviously I was mistaken in my interpretation. We'll get it sorted out. Maybe we need a Cyrus, Alger, M... Forum?