PDA

View Full Version : Playing Middle pairs after the flop

WalleyeJason
08-19-2003, 02:49 PM
Whats the correct way to play a middle pair after the flop?

Say I limped in w/ QJo and the flop is like

J K 4

In EP should this be checked, Folded or bet?

In MP if a EP bets out, should this be, Folded or Raised?

In LP if a EP or MP bets out, should this be, Raised or just called??

I know there can be many varibles, but lets assume there were 4 people before the flop BB, EP, MP, LP and no prefolp raise.

WJ

Zele
08-19-2003, 04:50 PM
This really, really depends on who your opponents are, but here are some things to keep in mind in each of the cases you mentioned:

In EP or MP, usually fold if bet to, unless the bettor would often bet here to steal after no pre-flop raise, in which case you must raise him. If no bet before you in EP, almost always check, with the intention of possibly check-raising if a bet comes in LP (and no one has called it.) In MP, consider betting.

In LP, usually fold if bet to, but this decision is extremely dependent on the personality and position of the bettor (of course, if there has been a caller you must fold.) If it's checked to you, bet, and almost certainly call one check-raiser. The decision to continue on the turn if you do not improve is heavily dependent on your opponent.

WalleyeJason
08-19-2003, 05:50 PM
This is one of those hands where I have tried to be aggresive with
in the past, If in EP I might bet out.

But recently I have been finding that in the lower limits that a check/fold is the best play in this situation

But in the B&m 10-20 game I have been playing this hand recently occured,

I was in EP and I bet after the flop, The bet got me heads up with a LP player. That I know to be a solid player.

The turn was a 5c Making a flush draw

I checked, he bet, I raised, he called.

River was a 2c

With the flush card coming on the end, I knew he would check down so I bet.

At this point I put him On a hand like KT or KQ

Was I over plaing my middle pair?

I felt at the time that if he had just the king, he would fold.

What do you think?