PDA

View Full Version : ANOTHER ANNOYING NEWBIE QUESTION??

darryl2172
08-19-2003, 10:14 AM
I HAVE NOTICED THAT MY PLAY IN TOURNYS IS ALOT BETTER, THAN MY ACTUAL CASH PLAY. WHAT COULD BE THE REASON FOR THIS? ARE SOME PLAYERS JUST BETTER TOURNY PLAYERS?

Inthacup
08-19-2003, 11:50 AM
Your opponents are definitely worse in tourneys than in ring games. You'll get paid off almost every time you hit a hand in a tourney. The most successful single table tournament players are the ones that can correctly adjust from the full table to playing short-handed.

drewjustdrew
08-19-2003, 02:58 PM
It is definitely true that some people are better at tournaments than cash, and vice-versa. One explanation for your success can be the short term luck factor. In a tournament, you can play some hands that, in the long run, would hurt you in a cash game. You happen to win them in one tournament and you get a big payday. You win them in a cash game, and your win is not big enough for the odds you were facing to play the hand.

Another consideration is that in a tournament, chip totals are more important than perfect play (in a vacuum). If you have a lot of chips, some otherwise horrible plays are now acceptable based on tournament situations.

It is said that good cash players have a good chance of becoming good tournament players, but good tournament players may, or may not, become good cash players.