PDA

View Full Version : JJ heads up situation

dux
08-19-2003, 04:20 AM
Here is a hand I played in one of my first heads up tournies, a No-Limit Hold'em game:

I have about a T1600 to T1400 lead over my opponent, in the first level of a Heads-up NL tourney. So far he has proven to have some talent.

I am dealt J/images/graemlins/club.gif J/images/graemlins/heart.gif on the T20 big blind (not the button) - my opponent calls and I raise 60. He calls the 60 and raises another 60. I just call.

T280 in the pot.
Flop: [5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif]
I check, he bets 100
saboteur: calls 100
480 in the pot.
Turn: Flop: [5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif] [6/images/graemlins/club.gif]
I check, he bets 1,130 all-in. 1610 to win if I call. I think about it and fold.

Which was the biggest mistake, and given that I have made all the mistakes do I call the river in that situation (even if he is behind I may have a draw to split/hit a J.

All comments appreaciated.

Copernicus
08-19-2003, 08:19 AM
It would be an easier decision if you know more about the quality of his re-raising hands. For some that can be Ax suited and for others pairs or two high cards. With that flop I would bet the pot. His response should give a pretty clear read of the strength of his hand. As it was played you really have no idea what he has. I would not call the all-in though I suspect a steal with two high cards.

Heads-up with relatively equal stacks is all about hand reading, and with a hand as strong as JJ you really need to test the waters early.

Greg (FossilMan)
08-19-2003, 11:25 AM
You probably should've won the tourney or doubled him up on this hand. JJ is a monster heads-up. When he reraised preflop, I would've raised him back, at least 200 more. If he raises again, then maybe you can give him credit for an overpair. If he just calls, look for a good flop. If it comes, either bet one-half to all the pot, or check-raise all-in. If the flop looks bad, sometimes you have to check-fold, other times you can take a shot, and hope that the A out there is going to convince him to fold KK or QQ.

If you just call his mini-reraise preflop, check-raise the flop you got, at least 400 more. Be prepared to go all-in.

I'd be more concerned that he beat you with that turn card than that he had you beat all the way.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)