PDA

View Full Version : NL tourney decision

haakee
08-19-2003, 02:48 AM
Live NL hold 'em tournament. I'm in BB with Kc8s. My stack is T3300, SB's stack is about the same. SB has been very loose and fairly passive thus far. We have about the biggest stacks at the table. There are about 55 players remaining out of the original 60. Folded the SB. He limps, I check. Blinds are 40 and 80.

Flop is 8c6c4c. He checks. I bet 200. He calls.

Turn is an offsuit 2. He checks. I bet 500. He calls.

River is a 2c putting a 4-flush on the board. He bets all his $100 chips, about 2000, leaving him with maybe 400 in $20 chips. I stare him down and see nothing. So I say, "Your ace of clubs is good" and muck.

How would you have played this?

Ulysses
08-19-2003, 08:20 AM
I'd push in on the turn.

Having played the turn as you did, I'd push in on the river and expect him to call me w/ his Jc or Qc.

Copernicus
08-19-2003, 11:51 AM
Unless your initial read of loose/passive is wrong, I agree that him waking up on the river is most likely the Ac. I would play pretty much the same on every street.

haakee
08-22-2003, 04:41 PM
He showed KhJc and took down the pot. I was very surprised. I was almost certain he had the Ac.

Rushmore
08-22-2003, 05:58 PM
If he's so passive, why are you betting $500 on the turn?

When you push allin on the turn, he no longer has the opportunity to put you off a winner on the river. I'd say that you're a pretty good favorite to have the best hand when he check-calls the flop and then checks the turn, PLUS you have your redraw.

I'd take all of my chips and place them into the middle of the table on the turn.

If I didn't do that for some reason, I'd kick myself in the ass for allowing this guy to stay in long enough to throw any kind of bet at me on the river, and then I would fold.

And I would hate doing it.