PDA

View Full Version : Button Betting

ElSapo
08-19-2003, 12:59 AM
Time and time again, the flop is checked to the button who bets. It's like people sign a contract stating the button must bet. Is this right?

Maybe I need to start betting if it's checked to me. Just toss in some chips, click the bet button? I know hold'em is a positional game, but is it right for the button to bet all the time? They do seem to take it down a fair number of times, if only b/c they then fire again on the turn or river as needed.

Maybe I'm off here, and the button just has the cards each time. But I can't bring myself to bet with nothing but the button. Am I missing out here?

CAJ
08-19-2003, 11:25 AM
I agree button betting occurs way to often at the lower limit tables. Which is good, because you know you go for a check raise. If you are not betting on the button, you may want to review your decision to call pre-flop.

me454555
08-19-2003, 02:03 PM
When the hand is checked around to the button, and the button bets it can serve as 4 things. 1)Everyone except for the sb and bb are presumed to have weak hands so a bet w/a semistrong hand AQo or J10o can be justified b/c you may actually have the best starting hand. 2) You can steal the blinds if everyone else folds. 3) If you get caught, people are more likely to call your raises in the future. 4) You can often get a free card on the turn b/c people are less likely to raise after the flop unless they hit it hard.

In low limit games it is often very hard to steal the blinds b/c its such a small bet to see the flop that you will inevitably get at least 1 or 2 callers. The advantage of betting though is that even if you dont have a great hand, you may still have the best hand preflop and you can win an extra bet or 2 this way if you hit the flop. If you miss the flop, this bet b4 will often give you the chance to bluff post flop and sometimes check for the free turn card.

HUSKER'66
08-19-2003, 02:12 PM
It falls along the same play I see at lower limits online and at the B&M. The play that I'm refering to is the infamous "check to the raiser". Since most of the players that you come across fall into the "lamb" catagory, I use this play often to get a free card on later streets. Can't say that it is a good play to bet on the button without having any piece of the flop; at the lower limits, you're not going to get a lot of chasers to fold. Depending on the feel of the table loose/passive, weak/tight etc. firing out on a bluff in late position can be postive EV.

gunboat
08-19-2003, 02:30 PM
If I am on the button, I will often bet the flop when I missed for two reasons.

1) I likely have the best hand against 2 or even 3 opponents.

2) The turn will often be checked to me and I can take a free card if I also miss the turn.

And occasionally some yahoo with a monster will check twice and fail to extract the maximum from the table. Saves me money when I catch a small piece of the flop, e.g. 2nd pair. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

OffTilt
08-19-2003, 02:56 PM
There are a lot of good reasons for betting the button, but I do think you are also seeing a large number of fish who for some reason believe if everyone checks to them, they can bluff and steal the pot.

The nice thing is when you actually do have a strong hand on the button, it seems like no one believes you when you bet and you get lots of action.

OffTilt

------------------------------------------
Start winning hundreds at Texas Holdem with Power Holdem+
http://www.online-pokerguide.com

Homer
08-19-2003, 04:42 PM
Maybe I need to start betting if it's checked to me.

Nah, what you to do is start checkraising. A lot. Like all the freakin time.

-- Homer