PDA

View Full Version : The Towel Debate, Inspired by Tom D's July 28,Post

07-31-2002, 01:50 PM
The great towel debate has been around for decades, yet the dilemma of the towel still begs to be decided. I'm not talking about how to fold a towel, or whether to use the decorative towel when no other is around. This debate has nothing to do with color, size, or towel density. The monogrammed His and Her towels were a clever marketing idea but it did little to settle the great towel debate. There are hand towels, dish towels, beach towels, bath towels, towels with raised letters, no letters, towels with and without pictures, the list might be endless yet none of these towel concepts have helped with the great towel debate.

Towels have a diverse number of uses they can dry us, cover us, we can lay on them, or fold them into the shape of a pillow for napping. Towels have been mistaken for whips and rugs. In the end when the fluff of life has left the towel it is reborn as a RAG. A term also use to describe Hold'em hands played by the clueless.

It is the clueless who have perpetrated the great towel debate. The number of clueless towel operators is staggering. Of course we are talking about the BATH TOWEL! You can check out the numbers yourself, just ask a friend. What do you do after bathing or showering? Do you treat yourself to a new clean towel or do you reuse yesterdays dirty towel. How many times should a BATH TOWEL be reused? Surely in the days before the home washing machine and dryer, reusing a bath towel made some since. But today drying yourself with a dirty bath towel seems barbaric. The side issues are gross, how many people in your family have used the dirty bath towel before you? Is the measuring stick for reusing a dirty bath towel its scent? If it doesn't smell does that mean it's clean? Choosing to use a dirty bath towel is either a question of being to lazy, to walk to the closet to get a fress towel, or a desire to save a single load of washing.

May I be so bold as to recommend the advantages of a fresh towel. A fress towel doesn't have your dead skin on it, or for that matter someone else's dead skin. If your family is a community sharing towel environment do you know the wiping habits of your family. Some people dry everything, including those crevasses that need to be spread before towel access can be achieved. The bacteria in a used towel can best be seen under a microscope. However, most of us don't have one handy to check out those micro creatures lurking in the dirty towel.

Please join me in ending the great towel debate. Look in the mirror before selecting which towel to use. Tell yourself, I deserve a fresh clean towel! You'll feel like your on a vacation at a five star hotel. Tell your friends and family, a fresh towel is the best way to start your day. Never again will you pick up a towel and smell the scent of an over used bath towel. One extra load of laundry is worth the effort to avoid bath towel bacteria.

SPM,...try it you'll like it...

07-31-2002, 02:07 PM
This was one of the first serious issues of my marraige. I have never used a bath towel twice in my life. My wife said from day one, "If you think I'm washing 7 towels a week, you're F---ing CRAZY!!" (Imagine her surprise when she found out I use a seperate towel for drying my hair.) btw- I'm divorced now...

Also, you should post about folding underwear. I'd like to know if I'm the only guy on the planet who likes his underwear folded. I'll never know, because I'm not about to ask anyone. But this was another issue that the wife just could not get passed. Did I mention, I'm divorced now...

07-31-2002, 04:12 PM
You are not Suburban Poker Man. You sound more like an intensive care nurse than the guy who heats up yesterday's coffee to accompany his nicotine breakfast. Perhaps you are Mrs. Suburban Poker Man.

The dead givaway, though, is that you didn't make the twelve to twenty spelling and gramatical errors per sentence we all find so charming.

Tom D

07-31-2002, 04:36 PM
Sorry, you missed that one! I write my own material. SPW doesn't have web site address.

SPM,...play long and prosper...