PDA

View Full Version : lack of follow through

bad beetz
08-18-2003, 11:04 PM
Good AJ's $15/30. I open raise in cutoff with some ace-high hand. BB calls. He is bad but tricky and would call with 50% hands here.

Flop nothing. I bet, he calls.

Turn dud. checks check.

River nothing. He bets, I fold.

He shows nut-low. 43s on a board that was something like KTT69. I got shaken down.

I need to call with A-high here if I don't bet the turn.

If I had bet the turn I think he would have raised and I would have folded.

fortunately, two hands later I three-bet him on the turn with a draw when he had the nuts, and I got there. karma.

elysium
08-18-2003, 11:27 PM
hi bad
i just erased my thread praising you for not betting the turn. i had you in the BB. yea bad, you've got to bet the turn.

on the river it's raise or fold.

bad beetz
08-19-2003, 12:12 AM
I think a call is OK on the river versus what may very well be a stone bluff.

haakee
08-19-2003, 03:04 AM
I remember this hand. Against that guy I would bet the turn often. He calls the flop with nothing heads-up.

Louie Landale
08-19-2003, 01:18 PM
Raise or fold??? You have the ideal calling hand: can easily beat a bluff but not a solid bet. I don't think its realistic to expect him to lay down ANY pair given your turn check.

Raise of fold is when YOU don't have anything. Ace-High in a heads-up checked turn pot is SOMETHING.

- Louie

Philuva
08-19-2003, 02:12 PM
It is definitely not a raise or fold on the river heads-up given the betting so far. I think calling is clearly better than raising or folding on the river.

Bad Beetz - I like the turn check only if it is followed by a river call. I think the turn check will definitely induce bluffs on the river, to make calling profitable.

Ulysses
08-19-2003, 02:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If I had bet the turn I think he would have raised and I would have folded.

[/ QUOTE ]
3-bet these clowns a little more regularly and you won't have to worry so much about them checkraising you when you raise pre-flop and bet a KTT flop.

[ QUOTE ]

fortunately, two hands later I three-bet him on the turn with a draw when he had the nuts, and I got there. karma.

[/ QUOTE ]
A draw vs. the nuts on an expensive street is a questionable time to start with the 3-betting, but if you're going to do that, make sure you get there on the river. Ni han.

DanZ
08-19-2003, 02:33 PM
checking the turn is fine. Were you in first position, you should probably not check. The pot is too small to worry about free cards, you have a weak hand that you'd like to show for one bet at most.

However, if you know you are ahead by the opponents playing style, or you will never be bluff raised (or bluff raised so often that you want to give him the chance to do it), then you can go ahead and bet.

On the river, a call, fold and raise should all be considered once you check the turn, with a call the most frequent. The opponent would often check a decent ace himself, and tend to bet a bust more often, so raising is not likely to help very often.

Mike Gallo
08-19-2003, 02:40 PM
Ely,

stop it....your killing these guys.

Michael