PDA

View Full Version : Top 35 Sports and Game Movies

Mash
08-18-2003, 04:26 PM
*Disclaimer- I haven't seen Seabiscuit yet so I didn't rank it yet.

1. Caddyshack
2. Major League
3. The Natural
4. Cincinnati Kid
5. Let It Ride
6. Hoosiers
7. Rocky
8. Up The Creek
9. Bad News Bears
10. Slap Shot
11. Tin Cup
12. Longest Yard
13. Hot Dog The Movie
14. Bull Durham (Even Though I hate Costner movies)
15. Rounders
16. Rocky II
17. Eight Men Out
18. Better Off Dead
19. Raging Bull
20. The Hustler
21. Vision Quest
22. North Dallas Forty
23. Brian's Song
24. Unecassary Roughness
25. Chariots of Fire
26. Prefontaine
27. Ruth
28. Flamingo Kid
29. Breaking Away
30. Bang the Drum Slowly
31. Days of Thunder
32. Cobb
33. The Sandlot
34. Little Giants
35. CannonBall Run

HDPM
08-18-2003, 04:53 PM
Tin Cup ahead of Hustler and Raging Bull? No way. Tin Cup was terrible. Hustler was great. Great script. Great cast. And Rocky II ahead of these two? Rocky was great, the sequels no. Caddyshack was excellent, but it's a stretch at #1. I think Slapshot, Hustler, Raging Bull, are all underrated by you.

Cyrus
08-18-2003, 05:13 PM
Escape To Victory, directed by John Houston.

..Your ranking sucks! (But you would say that about my ranking too.)

Sooga
08-18-2003, 05:15 PM
How any top 10 list, much less a top 35 list, can be considered reasonable without 'Field of Dreams' somewhere on it is beyond me.

Ulysses
08-18-2003, 05:41 PM
Off the top of my head, some that were better than Days of Thunder:

Victory
All the Right Moves
North Dallas Forty
Rudy
Jerry Maguire
White Men Can't Jump
Breaking Away
Any Given Sunday

plus

Hoop Dreams
When We Were Kings
and a bunch of other documentaries

Uston
08-18-2003, 06:00 PM
After reading the original list, I was hoping someone would mention Hoop Dreams. A couple more that were omitted, either intentionally or unintentionally: The Color Of Money, Beyond The Mat.

Mash
08-18-2003, 06:00 PM
I'm a baseball fan but I thought Field of Dreams was just too cheesy. I'm not much of a Costner fan also.

Mash
08-18-2003, 06:03 PM
Ok, you may have some good arguements about those movies you listed but Rudy? I couldn't stand Sean Austin crying like a b1tch!

Mash
08-18-2003, 06:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Tin Cup ahead of Hustler and Raging Bull? No way. Tin Cup was terrible. Hustler was great. Great script. Great cast.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're completely right, what the heck was I thinking. I'm not sure how I put Tin Cup that high but it was a mistake. I hate Costner and Russo. But I did like the story line, poor golfer makes good but pisses it away because of his ego.

Mash
08-18-2003, 06:27 PM
No way I could put a soccer movie in the top 35. No way, soccer is for kids who can't hit a baseball.

I can't believe I forgot about White Men can't jump. My mistake.

Isn't Jerry McGuire more of a chick movie than a sports movie?

andyfox
08-18-2003, 06:30 PM
Would The Sting qualify?

Dynasty
08-18-2003, 06:36 PM
Another omission: Searching for Bobby Fischer

I'd probably put Hoosiers at #1. Caddyshack, Rocky, and The Bad News Bears would all be contenders for that spot.

Mash
08-18-2003, 06:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Would The Sting qualify?

[/ QUOTE ]

The Sting was one of the all time great movies, in my opinion. Although it did have a poker scene and ran scams on horse racing wagers it still didn't qualify on my list. Even though it didn't take too much to make my list such as Up the creek and Better off dead.

Same with Cool Hand Luke, one of the better movies of all time. Not a very big poker scene...

John Cole
08-18-2003, 07:10 PM
Please see both Requiem for a Heavyweight for the great scenes between Anthony Quinn and Julie Harris, and John Huston's neglected masterpiece, Fat City. Both put Rocky to shame. And should.

HDPM
08-18-2003, 07:15 PM
"Follow The Sun" the movie about Ben Hogan? I never have. Nor do I know anybody who has. Nor have I ever seen it in a video store. For such a popular sport with great writing, golf movies are few and far between and often lousy. I bet Follow the Sun sucked. Caddyshack is the best golf movie. Tin Cup was bad. I never saw "Dead Solid Perfect" and don't want to. The book was good and I don't want to see the movie on the chance of ruining it.

Also, it seems sports movies can be one of 3 genres (1) Comedy (2) Underdog succeeds against the odds (3) Cancer. I.E. Caddyshack, Rocky, Brian's Song. A movie like Raging Bull which is a drama/tragedy but not underdog or cancer is somewhat unusual.

Ragnar
08-18-2003, 07:19 PM
I actually saw Dead Solid Perfect HDPM you made the right call. Great book--horrible movie.

Ragnar

Ulysses
08-18-2003, 07:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
After reading the original list, I was hoping someone would mention Hoop Dreams. A couple more that were omitted, either intentionally or unintentionally: The Color Of Money, Beyond The Mat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Two more very good ones, both definitely better than Days of Thunder.

Ulysses
08-18-2003, 07:24 PM
I was wavering as to whether or not to include Rudy in my list. I don't think it would make my Top 35 list. But my criteria was simply Movies better than Days of Thunder. So Rudy stayed.

Ulysses
08-18-2003, 07:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No way I could put a soccer movie in the top 35. No way, soccer is for kids who can't hit a baseball.

[/ QUOTE ]
Too ridiculous a comment to respond to. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't Jerry McGuire more of a chick movie than a sports movie?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, but as much a sports movie as some of the others on your list. And better than Days of Thunder. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

TimTimSalabim
08-18-2003, 07:32 PM
I rather liked Bend It Like Beckham, for what it's worth.

John Cole
08-18-2003, 09:20 PM
Yes, I've seen it. I believe it starred Glenn Ford. Typical Hollywood bio-pic. Also saw Dead Solid Perfect. Much prefer Dan Jenkins.