PDA

View Full Version : The Chosen

07-31-2002, 12:55 AM
The recent deaths of actor Rod Steiger and writer Chaim Potok reminded me of Potok's great book The Chosen and, IMO, the equally great movie that featured an electrifying performance by Rod Steiger, with a scene near the end in which Steiger does all the talking that I defy anyone to watch without crying. Both the book and movie are highly recommended.

07-31-2002, 01:27 AM
Only about 3 weeks ago I saw In The Heat of The Night (again) on TV. Rod's performance is outstanding. The scene at the train station where he tells Sidney P. why he must stay and help is priceless. First-rate cinema. Sorry to see he's gone.

-Zeno

07-31-2002, 01:40 AM
Great, great actor. I appreciate Brecht but give me total, incendiary immersion in the role anytime!

In the Sergio Leone western "Duck, You Sucker!", Rod Steiger plays the Mexican bandit/rebel. When he finally gets to see the bank he dreams of robbing, he stands facing it, with his back turned to the camera. All his excitement is communicated by the movement of his arms, a sort of nervous clinching and unclinching of the fists, with fingers rolling.

The time for each shot in that man's scenes, in all his movies, was not determined by the editor but by Steiger. He was doing things completely wrong, either stretching time when you'd expect a quick action, or snapping when you'd expect a slow, easy move. Fooling around with time was his true mannerism. But he was a master at that.

..I saw an interview recently on TV when it was said that his acting in that western scene was actually a hommage to Sergio Leone, who'd do that when Steiger's acting would get him all excited.

07-31-2002, 06:03 AM
I haven't read the book, but The Chosen is one of the best "minor" movies I've ever seen. The sympathy you feel for every character is overwhelming.

The Hassidic son was inspired by Potok's own early life. The day after he died, Terri Gross re-broadcast an earlier interview with him where he discussed his upbrining at length.

07-31-2002, 08:58 AM
his best performance was in The Pawnbroker, imho. Havent seen The Chosen yet.

Pat