PDA

View Full Version : 55 vs AQs on the end?

fleavis
08-17-2003, 06:18 PM
Hey guys wassup... i was just wondering if u could tell me how this tournament play looks.

it was a tournament of 16, and it was down to the last two. me with a short stack of 40T and he had like 80T...

i got dealt 55,
i bet, he reraised, i reraised him, putting him on AK AQ or something, he reraised me all-in and i called. He had AQs.

was it a good call?

i ended up losing the tournament...

Bokonon
08-18-2003, 01:13 AM
I'm just an ignorant newbie (or "noob", as the young kids like to say), but it seems to me that unless you thought you were clearly a better player than this guy with the bigger stack, you had to take advantage of the ~52% chance to double up. Especially if you already had some money in the pot.

If you knew you were a better player, then you could fold, grind it out with him, and have a better chance to end up on top. But if you don't think you were . . . well, a 50-50 shot to double up when you're down like that seems like a good call.

Al_Capone_Junior
08-18-2003, 02:40 PM
Heads up short stacked you usually should go for it with a pair. You were actually a slight favorite, but got unlucky.

al

punkass
08-18-2003, 03:50 PM
A tournament of 16, and there's T120 on the table. Everyone started the tournament with T7.5?

Disregarding that, I agree that if you are a better player than him, you can fold it, and look for a better hand.

Copernicus
08-18-2003, 04:32 PM
I assumed they were 40,000 and 80,000, but youre right it does look funny!

I dont consider half of the other guy being a "small stack". Even at 1/3, doubling through ties you with him. Smaller than that I adjust my strategy to "small stack" play.

The size of the bets isnt mentioned, but assuming they arent large percentages of your stack, "raise-reraise" doesnt make me confident he doesnt have a higher pair. If you are sure is on A/paint and if you think he's better, by all means put it all-in here. I don't know many tourney players well enough to limit their hands that much, though, and a higher pair would definitely be in my list of possible hands. Given that I think calling the raise and seeing the flop is a viable option. If rags flop and he has A/paint he will probably slow down and you can press on from there. If he doesnt slow down, you have to decide whether he has a higher pair or is just representing it...I would fold barring some other information.

M.B.E.
08-18-2003, 05:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i got dealt 55,
i bet, he reraised, i reraised him, putting him on AK AQ or something, he reraised me all-in and i called. He had AQs.

was it a good call?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is confused. If it's preflop you can't "bet", only call or raise. Also you say you put him on "AK AQ or something". Based on what? The fact that he reraised you when you're heads up? There's a wide range of hands he could have had, but hardly any that you're a big favourite over. Your mistake was that after he reraised you the first time, you reraised a little more. You should have gone all in at that point -- he might have folded his AQs.

It's hard to tell, because you haven't given enough information.

fleavis
08-18-2003, 07:15 PM
he had made a similar play early in the tournament with AQ vs 33 and he had beaten him too... i just had that feeling =)..

also it was a live tourney and it seemed like his hand wasn't a pair. (juss that feeling haha)

bah, oh well at least i know that it was a good raise... i don't think he would have folded AQ ever.

Stagemusic
08-19-2003, 08:25 AM
Fold Presto? The mere magic of this magnificent hand requires you to <font color="red"> </font> RAISE!!!! <font color="black"> </font> Actually, you were a 52-48 slight favorite on the hand pre-flop. But there were alot of cards that were going to beat you. I would need a better hand to go all in at that point. If he re-raises you...take your lumps and FOLD. Live to fight another day.