PDA

View Full Version : Wilson Tournament Hold'em

ggarison
08-16-2003, 05:09 PM
I've had my copy of Wilson's Tournament Texas Hold'em for only about 10 days, but I seem to be doing quite well. My main game is No Limit structure #9, with the level of competition set on the highest, Tough. Two nights ago I got to the final table, and last night I out and out won the thing. Overall, I finish in the money about 25-30% of time I play. Tried structure #6, modeled after the WSOP, and lo and behold, I finished decently in the money on that one too. Am I really good, or is the software really weak? Or is it simple luck?

--GG

Scooterdoo
08-16-2003, 08:29 PM
I have the tth (not the no-limit version). I think it's pretty good practice, but I will point out that the most difficult thing that it does not teach you is to avoid playing on tilt. When I only played the game I did really, really well after a while, but when I started playing for real money I noticed a big difference. It's that when you play the Wilson game it's so easy to simply press ZIP when you get a bad hand and go onto the next hand. However, when you play the real game you need a lot of patience and it's very easy to play a so-so hand when it's been 5-10 minutes since you've seen any good cards. Also, when you muck your hands for real you get to see what you might have won and say to yourself that you probably should have played the cards, so sometimes you go on minor tilt. Anyway, I think the simulation is very good, but you need to be very careful to remain fairly tight when you play for real. There is a difference.

inkstain
08-17-2003, 06:54 AM
Wilson Software's "artificial intelligence" (AI) is fairly weak, and the computer players are very predictable and does not pay too much attention to your plays. It's good for certain types of use (whether the standard Turbo <game> or Turbo Tournament Hold'em), but definitely not measuring how well you'll actually do in a situation.