PDA

View Full Version : game selection?

turnipmonster
08-16-2003, 11:45 AM
I have read, and agree, that game selection is one of the most important criteria when it comes to making money at hold 'em. it's a very important skill to be able to evaluate the game you're playing in, and either get out or adjust accordingly.

however, a lot of times I find myself picking a tougher (for me, I am relatively inexperienced) mid limit game instead of a low limit game at my card room (not that many different limits are offered). My reasoning is basically this. Poker is a serious hobby for me, and I'd like to get better and eventually keep moving up in limits. I am only going to learn how to play in tougher, higher limits by playing in tougher games. I have a day job so maximizing the money I'm making isn't really as much of a concern as my improvement is, at least for the time being.

right now, I do very well at low limit games, and although I don't have enough hours logged to be sure, I would guess (and my stats show) that I am about a break even player in the mid limit game I play.

mainly, I am curious as to what y'all think about selecting tougher games for experience/learning purposes, and if this is a strategy employed by any of you who have worked your way up in limits over the years. all other thoughts/comments on this subject are appreciated.

--turnipmonster

Dynasty
08-16-2003, 03:49 PM
My game improved dramatically a year ago when I played almost exclusively in the somewhat tough daytime Mirage 20-40 game. Getting experience against tough opponents is a very valuable tool for somebody moving up to middle limits.

Now, I'm picking and choosing games. Last night I played a couple hours in the Bellagio 15-30 game but didn't like any of the four games going. So, I went over to the Mirage figuring the 10-20 would be good. But, they only had one 10-20 going and three 20-40's. So, I took a good look at the 20-40, liked what I saw, and played that.

Ed S.
08-16-2003, 05:06 PM
Basically how do you go about trying to select a game? Do you observe the game? What steps do you take to put yourself in these games without infringing on the poker room rules and other players sitting at the table..ect..ect.

Ed S.

Shymon
08-16-2003, 07:08 PM
if your just going for experiance and fun and are willing to pay in terms of EV then pick the toughest game you can without becoming a loser. if your willing to pay some tutition to sit with the better players then pick the toughest game you feel comfortable with. basicly figgure out how much you are willing to risk and for what benifit. your not a pro yet so playing a tough game "beacuse it's fun" is a prefectly valid reason if you are willing to accept the risk of losing that game presents. of course if you rely on any income from poker then your attitude should be 100% oppisite and you should look for the best game that you can reasonably afford to play. learning with money you need is a terrible, terrible, mistake.

Vehn
08-17-2003, 11:04 PM
Game selection for me is "should I play in the one $30/$60 with 0-1 live ones or should I play in the one $15/$30 with 0-2".