PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Talk

07-28-2002, 10:25 PM
The Diamondbacks are 5 games up, have won seven in a row, are hitting well and have confidence going into the dog days of August and September. They are in good position.

The Giants have stumbled - but I see they picked up Kenny Lofton. It may help - they need it.

The Mariners have stumbled also, less than .500 ball since the All-Star Break. When the hitting is good the bullpen falters, and when the pitching is good, the hitting is below par. They are out of kilter and the Angels are playing very well. It will be a very tight battle and the Mariners better right the ship quick. Will power and stammia in the long race into late september is the key. Do the Angels have it. I hope not. But I'm obviously bias.

Oakland is just mucking along - no spark. But it could get into a very tight 3 way race in the AL west if Oakland surges at the end. Especially since these three teams play each other a lot right at the end of the season. It will be good baseball. I predict the Mariners will win the AL west by 1.5 games.

-Zeno

07-28-2002, 11:00 PM
If the playoffs started tomorrow, who do you think would be the favorites to make the World Series? My guess is the Yankees and Atlanta.

If Boston makes the playoffs, they can be very tough because they've got Pedro and Lowe, same kind of 1-2 punch the Diamondbacks have. I've always felt that was one advantage the Yankees have: they never have to face Pedro twice in a 5-game series because they're in the same division as the Red Sox.

"Especially since these three teams play each other a lot right at the end of the season"

-If there is an end of the season--there may just be a stop to the season sometime in August.

07-29-2002, 01:19 AM
Atlanta is sure looking like a powerhouse baseball team of late. Atlanta's pitching can match anyone. Yeah, Yanks and Atlanta. Boston always falters and I'm not convinced the Twins are as good as they think they are. I like the Diamondbacks but am too bias to look at it objectively.

The damn strike possiblity may ruin some of the best down-the-stretch baseball we have had in awhile. Let's hope it does not happen. That is all we got left - hope.

-Zeno

07-29-2002, 03:11 AM
I don't know how anyone could not bet the DBacks this year, especially to get out of the NL. How many years in a row have the Braves been in this position and not made it to the WS? I don't see what is different this year. The DBacks have the best offense in the NL and when you shorten the rotation they are tough to beat. Batista rarely gives a bad effort and Anderson is finally showing form he had years ago with Cleveland, that of a solid 4th starter. The pen is deeper with Kim being a stronger presence this year and Mantei there to help out as he gets stronger for the playoffs. The team appears to be in better shape than last year and gets the added confidence of last year's success. Some teams you just think of them as needing to believe in themselves and with a team of veterans that almost all never won anything, that should be a big factor. Their biggest concern was making the playoffs and right now its not looking like a concern much. The only thing to worry about is injuries to the two big men, but they have been rather reliable over the last few years with minimal lost time even with heavy workloads. If they get there with the two aces intact and most of the lineup off the DL, this team will be very tough to beat because I don't think anyone near the top has really improved themselves.

I suspect Seattle has a better team this year on paper, but Boone and Cameron especially have fallen far from where they are expected. In the playoffs they might play bigger roles than they have. Ruben Sierra has been a big upgrade over the sorry weak links in the outfield from last year. Not having Edgar 100% has hurt the offense too. I don't see it being a problem though, if they avoid a disastrous losing streak they should have enough to at least get a wildcard and then they will be a solid competitor. The squad is built for winning in the playoffs with speed, defense and solid pitching. I wouldn't give the Yankees the pennant yet, this might be the best way to get by them by sort of creating lesser expectations.