PDA

View Full Version : No Limit Bad Beat

chessforlife
08-16-2003, 08:05 AM
at the time I was underaged and playing in a club located in Ventura County Ca. They have a no limit game on Sundays 100 min buy in. I bought in for 200 and built it up to 1100 before this hand occured.

Type of players at game: These guys must of been made of money, it was a very easy game to crack, Old Retired Tennis Champion, Real Estate Agents with money to toss ect...

3 and 5 blinds

I have Pocket AA and make it 10 to go hoping to get reraised in 4th positon, 2 after the BB.

A player that makes big raises all the time pre-flop makes it 300 to go. Everyone else folds, Obviously I shove all in hoping to take it down right there.

He calls

Flop 369 turn J River 3

he turns over 3 6 offsuit,

I never showed my hand and left busted for my 200 bucks.
It was a painful day /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Anyone else been hit with something simialr?

Chessforlife

Aceshigh7
08-16-2003, 01:16 PM
Wow, that is absolutely horrible. Sounds like you handled it better than I would have. I would have gone off on the guy.

Mike Gallo
08-16-2003, 02:41 PM

Simialr...no...similiar yes.

Michael

Ulysses
08-16-2003, 03:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Simialr...no...similiar yes.

Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

Either very clever or very ironic. Either way, very funny.

Mike Gallo
08-16-2003, 03:57 PM
Either way, very funny.

Thanks Ulysses...I attemted to add humor and to write a cutting edge post.

Michael

Michael

Wad
08-16-2003, 07:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I attemted to add humor and to write a cutting edge post.

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually attempt, but never attemt........ /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Relentless
08-16-2003, 08:17 PM
this reminds me of playing online with play money, people do stupid [censored]

GuyOnTilt
08-17-2003, 05:21 AM
Tit for Tat. Well done my friend. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Yardbird
08-17-2003, 08:24 PM
I've never played NL other than in tournaments; but, I don't think I would have made such a bold move before the flop against the opponent you describe.

Knowing that bullets only stand up on the river about 1/3 of the time, and that this guy was a loose raiser, and evidently a pretty loose caller to boot, /images/graemlins/cool.gif I might have made a re-raise of about the size of the pot with your stake, and come out betting on the flop... perhaps moving all-in at that point. Given your opposition, you might have lost just as much; but, at least you would have had the opportunity to badger him into possibly folding. From my perspective, the way you played it, obvious assumptions [even to calling stations] were that you either had rockets or were stealing. By waiting to go all in on the flop, you might have had a chance of convincing him you possibly had 99---which he may have believed just as he assumed that you must have been bluffing: From his perspective, if you're cavalier enough to move all-in for a few bucks with nothing, you're also a good candidate to play aggressively with a smaller pocket pair than AA. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Even if all that is above the skill-level of this perp, moving all-in with AA vs. one opponent in a ring game before the flop doesn't make up for giving him 2:1 on a 1:1 payoff IMHO. (I know that AA is probably ~1:4 favourite heads-up against any other hand; but, perhaps I'm over-conservative /images/graemlins/crazy.gif)

Nonetheless, I don't have the experience you have, just 20/15 hindsight. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

RockLobster
08-17-2003, 11:53 PM
Hi Chess--

This sounds like a hand for my web site... would you like me to post it there? See my signature for details...

Take care--

Copernicus
08-18-2003, 01:48 AM
similiarity breeds contempt? or some expression similar to that?

OffTilt
08-18-2003, 08:40 AM
I think the chances of a guy calling a huge raise with 3 6off, flopping two pair, but then folding because he feared a set are close to zero.

This one of those tough ones that you take in NL ring games. That's why NL ring games for stakes like that are just too hard on my stomach. I think you played it right, getting isolated with one guy, all in while you hold the best hand in holdem. Can you ask for any more? Well of course, a win... tough one. I personally don't like going all in pre flop against a stack equal to or greater than mine. I prefer getting mixed up with the smaller guys, but maybe I'm too conservative. Bottom line though, if he had moved all in on the flop, I think you have to call, so you are screwed whether you are all in preflop or not.

OffTilt

------------------------------------------
Start winning hundreds at Texas Holdem with Power Holdem+
http://www.online-pokerguide.com