PDA

View Full Version : 10-20 hand last night

WalleyeJason
08-15-2003, 03:56 PM
I am in MP and look down to see AA

UTG+1 Raises (good solid player) and is folded to me and I raise he re-raises and of course I cap.

Flop comes out Jc 4d 6h

He bets and I raise, He re-raises again. I am 99.9% sure he has a big pair, but are they Jacks? I cap.

Turn is 2c

He bets this time I just call.

River is a Th

He bets: What is my play?

WJ

Paul Talbot
08-15-2003, 04:09 PM
Well 1 way you are tied (he has AA), 12 ways you are ahead (KK, QQ) and 3 ways you are beat (JJ). So you are essentially a 4:1 favorite to have the best hand.

However, you capped preflop, you capped flop. Would this guy actually keep the heat on if he couldn't beat AA? I'd just call him down.

Paul

Georgia Peach
08-15-2003, 05:01 PM
You might as well call and see. I hope you didn't have to split the pot. But if he had Js, then a split would have been better.

DennisB
08-15-2003, 05:06 PM
All i do is call. Your description of him was "good solid player". You cap it twice...why would a good solid player bet into you after all this action if he doesn't have a set of hooks? Unless (and u never said) he perceives you to be an over aggresive fish. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

WalleyeJason
08-15-2003, 06:25 PM
I called and he showed me KK

I dont know...Maybe he thought I smelled like fish??

WJ

Diplomat
08-15-2003, 07:14 PM
Raise the turn. Unless he percieves you as a monster fish, I doubt he'd 4-bet you pre-flop with JJ. He might (particularily heads-up) but it's far from the optimal.

If he goes sickaty on the turn, then you can call him down. Raise the turn. Actually, if you are really scared of a three-bet, Maybe raise the river instead. (many people get scared on the river and do a shell-shocked-call, even with a monster)

-Diplomat

Mike Gallo
08-15-2003, 07:19 PM
He bets: What is my play?

Raise, you have the best hand.

Michael

elysium
08-15-2003, 07:56 PM
hi wall
the river is not the issue wall. it looks like a pretty clear raise on the turn.

walley, i'm going to make an observation that i've never seen addressed anywhere before, and i'm not sure what, if anything it means. but i have seen this many, many times before.

notice on the turn, that if you raise and your opponent calls or 3 bets, you will call on the river heads up from last position. it doesn't seem important, but i've noticed that when this is the case, it's usually correct to raise the turn if you think that your opponent will call or 3 bet your turn raise.

in other words, if you're indecisive about whether to raise the turn when your raise will not get the fold, it's usually correct to raise the turn if you will call any turn 3 bet and also call a bet on the river. if that's the case, it just looks like it's wrong to call the turn and instead raise on the river. and if on the turn you don't think your raise will get the fold and you may not call 1 bet to you on the river, then it's usually wrong to raise the turn.

i'm sure this observation has flaws, but i haven't found them yet. i'm sure i will though. but until then, i think that you have a clear turn raise here. of course, you have a raise for value on the turn. it's not a semi-bluff that's for sure. and i can see why you didn't raise the turn. i may not have raised under the same conditions against this solid good opponent. those guys horrify me. and this is an area i have trouble in. so maybe the answer is looking further to the river. maybe if you know that you will call 1 bet to you on the river whether he reraises the turn or just calls the turn; maybe it's better to raise the turn rather than calling the turn and thinking about raising the river. although wall, i cannot tell you why it's better in this spot to raise the turn and call the river rather than call the turn and raise the river. in both cases you get the same number of bets in and in both cases, against a good solid (very important criteria) you have him on QQ or KK.

the turn looks like a must raise ironically because your opponent is good solid.