PDA

View Full Version : Philosophical Discussion: Opening Scene in Rounders

Magician
08-14-2003, 08:19 PM
Was Mike McDermott destined to lose his chips, or was he outplayed that time as he tells Knish in the end?

I'm in the "destined to lose" camp.

How can he not bet that hand?

And, was Teddy incorrect in flat calling pre-flop, or was it a wise move heads-up?

Yeknom58
08-14-2003, 08:35 PM
Its a little of both. I think if that spade doesn't fall on the river we see an entirely different movie!

Also am I the only one who see's the math flaw at the end?
He comes in with 10k, doubles up to 20k, then plays again and some how leaves with 60k. He must have been kicking teddy's ass before the big cookie scene. I figure Teddy re-buyed for another 20k but why wouldn't mike leave after that and let it get to where he was losing.

Magician
08-14-2003, 08:50 PM
The most unrealistic scene is when he "refuses" Petra.

TimTimSalabim
08-14-2003, 09:29 PM
I think we've beaten this subject to death before, but I'll just say there is little in Rounders that *is* realistic. The Matt Damon character has seemingly superhuman abilities. He walks into a Stud game of unknown players who call and never raise, yet he knows what everyone is holding. He states at one point something like "Poker is all about skill. That's why you see the same players every year at the final table of the WSOP". Ok, whatever.

Choven
08-15-2003, 12:09 AM
I'll agree with the math. But after watching the movie two or three times within a week a few months back, I am almost certain he said Teddy reloaded a few more times. If not, it's almost implied with Grandma's remarks after the big hand. As far as leaving, two points; 1) why leave when you have the best of it (i.e. beating Teddy), and 2) I interpret the rules of the game as "playing until one busts out" and then the LOSER decides when to quit.

baggins
08-15-2003, 04:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The most unrealistic scene is when he "refuses" Petra.

[/ QUOTE ]

no $hit!