PDA

View Full Version : 92s four-handed in the BB

Ulysses
08-14-2003, 01:58 PM
Four-handed $15-30. UTG is a decent player. Not especially great, but generally solid. His major flaw is that he pays people off too much. Button and SB are both bozos who have absolutely no idea what to do short-handed.

UTG raises. He'll do this w/ many Aces, any two broadway cards, any pair. He will limp in, though, so this is likely to be something relatively good.

Button cold-calls. SB cold-calls.

You find 9h2h in the BB. Call or order a hot dog?

Tyler Durden
08-14-2003, 02:02 PM
I'd order a hot dog and if it came with a few pubic hairs inside the button I'd still be better off eating it than playing 92s for a raise in the BB.

trillig
08-14-2003, 02:10 PM
RUN! [to nearest hotdog vendor] 92s never good to come in with unless check to you in BB. 8)

Let me guess, you played any way and got dream flop?

-t

Ulysses
08-14-2003, 02:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
RUN! [to nearest hotdog vendor] 92s never good to come in with unless check to you in BB. 8)

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I though as well. But then I also thought of andyfox playing 73s for one more bet (w/ position) after he posted in CO and got all confused. I'm not sure if we ever established if that was good or not.

David Sklansky
08-14-2003, 02:20 PM
Under the conditions you described it is borderline.

punkass
08-14-2003, 02:25 PM
Your "with position" argument is gone since you are in the BB. I'd probably order a sandwich though.

Pot-A
08-14-2003, 02:47 PM
What's the point? throw it away and wait for something better.

Ulysses
08-14-2003, 03:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Your "with position" argument is gone since you are in the BB. I'd probably order a sandwich though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, andy had position and I don't. But one potentially mitigating factor is that I have two bozos in the hand.

Georgia Peach
08-14-2003, 03:59 PM
Now if it were T2s, then I would play. If it's good enough for Texas Dolly....actually I don't know if he won with T2o or T2s.

Zeno
08-14-2003, 04:17 PM
Order a hotdog with mustard, ketchup, relish, onions, and chili. Your breath will be powerful enough for you to run over the game.

A call is borderline according to the eloquence of Mr. Sklansky. So under the same circumstances a 95 suited is probably worth a call, No? A 98 suited would always be worth a flyer from the BB in a four-handed game, right (everyone has called), even for a raise. If 92 suited is borderline, is 94 suited on the same fence, one would think so. But hair splitting is tough for me.

-Zeno

Ulysses
08-14-2003, 04:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A call is borderline according to the eloquence of Mr. Sklansky.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure he wasn't talking about the hot dog?

prospector
08-14-2003, 11:02 PM
Two bozos in the hand are better than _________________? one on the list?

Ulysses
08-18-2003, 06:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Let me guess, you played any way and got dream flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

BINGO! We have a winner.

Not that it really matters, but I just realized I never posted the results here.

I've always auto-mucked suited garbage in this situation. But after reading andy's post recently and also reading a couple of other threads from a while back, I've been thinking that maybe I muck a little too much.

So, here I am w/ my 92s about to muck and then I think, hmmm, maybe David would say this is a borderline call. So, I call. But I didn't like it. I think I'm going to revert back to auto-mucking garbage like this. It just feels better. Even with the positive reinforcement for calling that I received in this hand.

Anyway, here's what happened:

Flop 2d 2s 8c

SB checks. I check. PFR bets. Button calls. SB calls. I call.

Turn (2d 2s 8c) Td

SB checks. I bet. PFR raises. Button folds. SB folds. I 3-bet. PFR thinks for a quick second and calls.

River is a blank.

I bet. He calls.

punkass
08-18-2003, 11:12 AM
So you're the guy I want to kill when I raise PF with AA and the flop comes down low pair, and I think "No one in their right mind would call with a 2" and I think I'm winning.

bad beetz
08-18-2003, 11:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've been thinking that maybe I muck a little too much.

[/ QUOTE ]

(giggle)

Ulysses
08-18-2003, 03:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So you're the guy I want to kill when I raise PF with AA and the flop comes down low pair, and I think "No one in their right mind would call with a 2" and I think I'm winning.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait a sec, I know you! You're the guy that gives me way too much action when I flop the unlikely trips, right? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ulysses
08-18-2003, 03:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've been thinking that maybe I muck a little too much.

[/ QUOTE ]

(giggle)

[/ QUOTE ]

Shut up, kid.

Philuva
08-18-2003, 04:49 PM
I think you should have CR the turn.

Ulysses
08-18-2003, 05:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think you should have CR the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I considered that and think it was close. What's your thought re: CR vs. betting? And do you think I should have bet or checkraised the flop?

mikelow
08-18-2003, 09:32 PM
I agree. In a full game with only three others playing, I might call. But, shorthanded I think it's a fold--and I wouldn't get lucky on this hand. Guess Ulysses has been running real good lately.

Wad
08-18-2003, 10:25 PM
This reminds me of a NL hand I had a few months back. I had 27o in the BB (blinds were .50/1). UTG made it $3 to go and every player at the table called! I couldn't help myself, I had to call for the $2 more. Of course the flop came 226. UTG bet $5 and had 5 callers including me. Turn was a J, no flush possibilites. UTG bet $5 again, 3 callers including me. River was the 7 of course and I checkraised all-in for a huge pot.

However, if I had to do it again, I'd fold preflop.... /images/graemlins/wink.gif

elysium
08-19-2003, 01:29 AM
hi ulysses
you're getting 9 to 1 on a call that closes the action, but you have 92s. the crowd you play against is pretty aggressive.....hmmmm. since after showing this one down, you're not apt to play it again any time soon, and will tighten after having shown it down,.....my only thing here ulysses is i'm wondering if you want to play something this awful when in a couple hands you'll have the button. you'd actually rather have this on the button because of all the decisions you'll need to make from the BB. have you read my horsie thread?

go ahead and take the dang 9 to 1, hope you flop two pair and get heads up on the turn. i can't help you with what to do if you hit your flush draw or flush. dynasty says make sure they'll call if you bet, but i'm more concerned about getting raised. if it's aggressive ulysses, then fold and wait for the button.

ALL1N
08-19-2003, 08:16 AM
You played it perfectly Ulysses (postflop), no worries.

With 4 players in on the turn, the PFR is going to give up on any overcards, and raise with an overpair or (hopefully) a ten. The chance of it being checked through on the turn is too great to try and checkraise here, but when the PFR is betting, he will most likely be raising, with those same hands, giving you a chance to 3-bet as you did.

Well played.

Ulysses
08-19-2003, 08:24 AM
That's pretty much exactly what I was thinking. I also think there's a small chance that he might even put me on a turned flush or straight draw and raise me w/ just overcards. But I'm hoping that he can beat a Ten, in which case we'll surely go at least three bets on the turn.