PDA

View Full Version : Daughter's bear encounter

07-25-2002, 01:33 PM
Last week while on a solo day hike in Glacier my daughter heard something crashing through the brush, she stopped pulled out her bear spray and waited. Soon, at about 20 ft, a griz came out of the brush and and came to stop when it saw her. She said she started to talk to the bear in a quiet voice all the while aiming her camera with one hand and bear spray with the other. The bear sniffed the air looked at her and left. Pretty cool, eh?

07-25-2002, 01:57 PM
"Pretty cool, eh?"

Yeah, if you have another pair of pants in your backpack.

07-25-2002, 02:50 PM
Totally awesome. I ran into a griz atop Mt. Rainbow (North Fork area) in '93. incredible animal. She is lucky to have the encounter.

07-25-2002, 06:35 PM
No offense intended, Ed, but she has a set that's a lot larger than mine. way cool.

07-25-2002, 07:28 PM
Wow.

I'll be up there next Saturday lf backpacking with 3 other guys. I guarantee you that if we have that kind of encounter, getting a picture of the griz will be way, way, way down the list of thoughts running through my head.

What part of the park was she in?

07-25-2002, 07:47 PM
Cool !!

07-25-2002, 10:06 PM
great i love it when i run into a griz. what an experience.

when i took mason hiking in glacier park i put a couple of pounds of fish and bacon in his pack so he might get to see a griz. up close, but no such luck for me.:)

07-25-2002, 10:10 PM
what ever you do dont ever run from a bear. dont look him in the eyes and back away from him while making yourself look big.

dont keep any food near your tent. no food at all, and no smelly clothes from dinner. no toothpaste or any smelly stuff at all.