PDA

View Full Version : Getting over "The Wall"

Magician
08-14-2003, 04:56 AM
$20 + $2 NLHE on Pokerstars - I'm 9th chip leader and there's 18 of us left out of the original 330+.

Blinds are getting massive - $2,000/$4,000 with rolling antes.

Stack of 25K chips or so.

I find guys are moving in all around me and while some are shorter stacks calling would cost 40%-60% of my stack. I don't much feel like calling with hands like QJo (which at one point I am tempted to do).

One big stack (UTG + 2) - seems to be going for my big blind each time with a raise to 14K (costing me 10K if I want to call). He'd been doing this habitually when first in and at the previous blind levels (1,500/3000 with rolling antes) - he'd raise to 10K making it cost 7K to call and at the time my stack was hovering at +/- 20K chips. Several times I wanted to snap back or at least call but I felt if I called he'd put me to a decision on the flop, whether he hits or misses.

Actually I'd been doing the same to another guy (stealing his blind all the time from MP until as recently as the 1,500/3,000 round) as I noticed he never defended and his blind was keeping me afloat.

But by now he was busted out and there didn't seem to be anyone I could easily steal from - stacks to my left I thought would call at the very least - in fact they did before and I would sometimes win on the flop, sometimes let them take it on the flop to massive aggression.

Finally, I am dealt KJs (which is looking premium by now) - my stack has drifted down to 23K or so. We must be down to 15 players at this point. One MP limper (stack about 18K), SB (short stack of 11K or so) moves in, I move in, MP limper folds.

SB flips over KQs and I am dominated. No help arrives, no sidepot, and I am down to 16K.

With a stack of 16K, I don't think I could really steal anymore and that I'm now reduced to waiting for a good hand, moving in, and hoping to double up.

With the blinds so high, I'm down to 10K chips after I (foolishly)? didn't play a hand for one orbit. On one hand there was a raiser before me, I had K9o and decided to muck.

Here I think is a mistake: I'm in UTG + 1 or UTG (can't recall exactly) - and I get JTo. I've got 16K chips left. Blinds are 2,000/4,000 and are hitting me soon. The table I think is 7 or 8-handed, lots of guys have bigger stacks and can afford to make a loose call (and of course with more guys to act after it's more likely someone after me has a hand that dominates me). I decide to muck.

Turns out that time it was the right move as there is action ahead of me and one guy flips over QJs.

In general, was mucking that JTo a mistake? I think on average I should've moved in with it.

Another foolish decision - I am 2 hands away from the blinds hitting me again, and I muck A2s. I get two garbage hands subsequent and am forced to move in with 53o when it's the random hand before the blinds hit me again and consume most of my stack.

Can you guys provide advice on how to play those situations (average stack, final 2 tables, but blinds so big that you only have 3 orbits of chips if that)?

I feel maybe with hands like T6o I should've been moving in to manufacture chips when first in.

Greg (FossilMan)
08-14-2003, 10:54 AM
Wait for a spot where you likely have the best hand, or are likely to win the blinds uncontested. If neither of those is coming, then you're just in a tough spot. But don't forget, the looser they call, the more likely you have the best hand. If they're calling with weak hands, go ahead and move in with that A7o, because you'll be a favorite over the KJ-type hands that are calling you. When you're getting blinded away quickly, you don't need to wait for a spot where you're a huge favorite. Any measurable edge might have to do.

BTW, you shouldn't be worrying about raising with hands like KJ and getting reraised. If the blinds are 2,4 with an ante and you've got 25, your raise should be all-in anyway. Too late to worry about a reraise. ;-)

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

Magician
08-14-2003, 10:57 AM
Is A7o really good for raising (by the way, didn't get even as much as that). It seems when I raise with A-rag in the past I often get called by AT or A9 which dominates me.

For these situations, aren't KQ, KJ, KT, QJ, QT better (less likely to be dominated)?

Magician
08-14-2003, 11:08 AM
Where did I say I was worried about being re-raised with KJs? I was in the big blind and I moved all-in with it.

My intention was to get the MP limper to muck and get isolated with the short stack who had moved in before me.

Sure, I was risking that the MP limper had a much better hand and would call and it was tough luck that the shorter all-in stack had me dominated that time - but I think it was a good move.

Greg (FossilMan)
08-14-2003, 02:28 PM
The key here is not your hand, but the situation.

If you can raise all-in and you figure to win uncontested the vast majority of the time, do it with any two cards. The more likely you are to get called, the stronger your hand needs to be. The issue isn't whether KQ is better than A7 for these things, but against what types of hands will you be racing if you do get called? In many cases, the KQ will do better, but either hand can easily be dominated. At least the A7 is only a really big dog against AA. KQ is a big dog against AA and KK. AK dominates both hands pretty equally. lol

Remember, this is a game. You've paid your entry fee, and have nothing more to lose. There is never any fear, only smart decisions and not-so-smart decisions. Make the smartest decisions you can, and don't worry about what happens after.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)